Velocity Reviews

-   -   NT Services and EventLog problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t329037-nt-services-and-eventlog-problems.html)

Larry Bates 03-01-2004 11:20 PM

NT Services and EventLog problems

I have tried everything I know to get my NT service
to make correct entries in the NT Event Log when the
service is started and stopped (and eventually when
permanent failures occur).

I'm copying the code I see on page 356 of Python
Programming on Win32 and for the life of me I cannot
get this to work properly. Basically I have
the following code snippet at the top of my SvcDoRun
method:

import servicemanager
servicemanager.LogMsg(
servicemanager.EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE,
servicemanager.PYS_SERVICE_STARTED,
(self._svc_name_,''))

I also inserted the following to make the proper
registry entries when the service is installed:

win32evtlogutil.AddSourceToRegistry('AFR',
'C:\Python22\Lib\site-Packages\win32\PythonService.exe',
'Application')

The entry that gets put into the Event Log is as follows:

The description for Event ID ( 4098 ) in Source
( PythonService ) cannot be found. The local computer
may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=
flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is
part of the event: AFR, .

Note: _svc_name_="AFR"

Something is not set correctly, but for the life of me
I cannot determine what.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
Larry Bates

F. Petitjean 03-02-2004 07:26 PM

Re: NT Services and EventLog problems

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:20:10 -0600, Larry Bates <lbates@swamisoft.com> wrote:
> I have tried everything I know to get my NT service
> to make correct entries in the NT Event Log when the
> service is started and stopped (and eventually when
> permanent failures occur).
>
> I also inserted the following to make the proper
> registry entries when the service is installed:
>
> win32evtlogutil.AddSourceToRegistry('AFR',
> 'C:\Python22\Lib\site-Packages\win32\PythonService.exe',
> 'Application')

Second parameter seems too be a filepath, try to use raw strings :
r'C:\Python22\Lib\site-Packages\win32\PythonService.exe'
and launch regedit to check registry entries.