Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two newby's questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t328754-two-newbys-questions.html)

Marcello Pietrobon 02-24-2004 04:35 PM

Two newby's questions

Hi,
python really looks a great language.

I wish C++ would have some of them !

Here the questions

1)
I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
does not work ?

2)
Is there a place where there are very small code snippets so a person
can quicly use and learn Python ?

3)
Under http://py.vaults.ca
I found code under GPL license so I don't know if I can use some lines
of code extracted from code I've found over there, for other open source
code.

Marcello

Larry Bates 02-24-2004 05:10 PM

Re: Two newby's questions

For many examples take a look at:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/

Larry

!

JanC 02-27-2004 05:28 PM

Re: Two newby's questions

Marcello Pietrobon <teiffel@attglobal.net> schreef:

> 1)
> I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
> comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
> Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
> http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
> does not work ?

Maybe a problem with the news server you use?
Try news.individual.net (it requires free registration but is very good)

--
JanC

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes 03-04-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Two newby's questions

wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:35:48 -0500:
> python really looks a great language.
> I wish C++ would have some of them !
> Here the questions
> 1)
> I preferred to use the newsgroup but the server
> comp.lang.python / c.l.python ( as it appears with Mozilla ) looks down !
> Am I doing something worng or the link from the python.org pages
> http://www.python.org/community/lists.html
> does not work ?

You should read the USENET FAQs to learn the difference between a
newsgroup and a server. In short: comp.lang.python is a newsgroup. It
is not a server, it's just a bunch of articles that are passed around
between news servers. Your ISP probably has a news server that carries
comp.lang.python.

<http://www.uselesspython.com/>

> 3)
> Under http://py.vaults.ca
> I found code under GPL license so I don't know if I can use some lines
> of code extracted from code I've found over there, for other open source
> code.

Only for other GPL code; once you use any GPL code in your project, it
must be released under GPL. Not to start that flamewar again, but
that's why the GPL is called a virus, and why you should avoid touching
code that is only released under the GPL. True open source licenses
like BSD, MIT, Apache, and Python's own license allow code to be reused
for any purpose. At most you might have to acknowledge credit, which
decent people should do anyway.

"Doing the impossible makes us mighty." -Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly