Velocity Reviews

-   -   Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t32657-really-stumped-on-router-connected-to-time-warner-road-runner-internet.html)

Eugene 04-01-2004 01:31 AM

Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet

I have a been fighting extreme slowdown on my internet for the last couple
months and am really stumped. I have a pair of 2500's the outside is a
2516 running IOS 12.2 with e0 connected to the cable modem and IP DHCP on
that interface. I then set a clock rate of 2000000 on s0 and connected it
to s0 on the inside 2507 running 12.1 through a DCE/DTE serial cable. I
was using them as a lab to study for the CCNP and got laid off and have
been doing Windows support jobs for the last two years and these routers
have been running fine in this config. Couple months ago road runners old
dns servers quit responding so I plugged the cable modem in an old Win98
box I pulled from a dumpster and got an IP from Road runner and wrote down
the new DNS servers, swapped the cable into my router and walked down and
plugged them in my pc's. Reload of router and let it get a new IP and my
connection has been extremely slow ever since. I can ping an IP all day
long with no problem but try to traceroute and it dies somewhere a few hops
out. Trying to web browse results in dns timeouts and extremely slow page
modem the speed is fine, no dns timeouts, no dead tracerouts. Reload/power
cycle my routers try to do anything behind them, timeouts and slowdown. I
haven't changed anything but afterward added the new dns servers into my
outside router to see if I could resolve names from it fine. I left the
old two dns serves in its config to see if they ever would start responding
again. I'm not doing anything with dns on the routers, all the pc's behind
them are pointing straight at road runners dns. The outside router has
problems resolving hostnames also if I try to ping www.google.com for
example all 4 dns servers fail. I'm really stumped as to why my routers
and pc's behind them can't resolve dns and drop packets while a pc plugged
into that modem works fine. Road runner being sneaky and looking for Cisco
MAC addresses and toying with me?

Eugene

mh 04-02-2004 03:34 PM

Re: Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:<vhKac.5695$xw6.3769@fe1.columbus.rr.com>...
> I have a been fighting extreme slowdown on my internet for the last couple
> months and am really stumped. I have a pair of 2500's the outside is a
> 2516 running IOS 12.2 with e0 connected to the cable modem and IP DHCP on
> that interface. I then set a clock rate of 2000000 on s0 and connected it
> to s0 on the inside 2507 running 12.1 through a DCE/DTE serial cable. I
> was using them as a lab to study for the CCNP and got laid off and have
> been doing Windows support jobs for the last two years and these routers
> have been running fine in this config. Couple months ago road runners old
> dns servers quit responding so I plugged the cable modem in an old Win98
> box I pulled from a dumpster and got an IP from Road runner and wrote down
> the new DNS servers, swapped the cable into my router and walked down and
> plugged them in my pc's. Reload of router and let it get a new IP and my
> connection has been extremely slow ever since. I can ping an IP all day
> long with no problem but try to traceroute and it dies somewhere a few hops
> out. Trying to web browse results in dns timeouts and extremely slow page
> modem the speed is fine, no dns timeouts, no dead tracerouts. Reload/power
> cycle my routers try to do anything behind them, timeouts and slowdown. I
> haven't changed anything but afterward added the new dns servers into my
> outside router to see if I could resolve names from it fine. I left the
> old two dns serves in its config to see if they ever would start responding
> again. I'm not doing anything with dns on the routers, all the pc's behind
> them are pointing straight at road runners dns. The outside router has
> problems resolving hostnames also if I try to ping www.google.com for
> example all 4 dns servers fail. I'm really stumped as to why my routers
> and pc's behind them can't resolve dns and drop packets while a pc plugged
> into that modem works fine. Road runner being sneaky and looking for Cisco
> MAC addresses and toying with me?
>
> Eugene

try changing the MAC address on your outside router's Ethernet
interface to be the same as the MAC address on the PC that you used
during your testing

int e0
mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
exit

Eugene 04-07-2004 02:03 AM

mh wrote:

> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I have a been fighting extreme slowdown on my internet for the last
>> couple
>> months and am really stumped. I have a pair of 2500's the outside is a
>> 2516 running IOS 12.2 with e0 connected to the cable modem and IP DHCP on
>> that interface. I then set a clock rate of 2000000 on s0 and connected
>> it
>> to s0 on the inside 2507 running 12.1 through a DCE/DTE serial cable. I
>> was using them as a lab to study for the CCNP and got laid off and have
>> been doing Windows support jobs for the last two years and these routers
>> have been running fine in this config. Couple months ago road runners
>> old dns servers quit responding so I plugged the cable modem in an old
>> Win98 box I pulled from a dumpster and got an IP from Road runner and
>> wrote down the new DNS servers, swapped the cable into my router and
>> walked down and
>> plugged them in my pc's. Reload of router and let it get a new IP and my
>> connection has been extremely slow ever since. I can ping an IP all day
>> long with no problem but try to traceroute and it dies somewhere a few
>> hops
>> out. Trying to web browse results in dns timeouts and extremely slow
>> page
>> cable
>> modem the speed is fine, no dns timeouts, no dead tracerouts.
>> Reload/power
>> cycle my routers try to do anything behind them, timeouts and slowdown.
>> I haven't changed anything but afterward added the new dns servers into
>> my
>> outside router to see if I could resolve names from it fine. I left the
>> old two dns serves in its config to see if they ever would start
>> responding
>> again. I'm not doing anything with dns on the routers, all the pc's
>> behind
>> them are pointing straight at road runners dns. The outside router has
>> problems resolving hostnames also if I try to ping www.google.com for
>> example all 4 dns servers fail. I'm really stumped as to why my routers
>> and pc's behind them can't resolve dns and drop packets while a pc
>> plugged
>> into that modem works fine. Road runner being sneaky and looking for
>> Cisco MAC addresses and toying with me?
>>
>> Eugene

> try changing the MAC address on your outside router's Ethernet
> interface to be the same as the MAC address on the PC that you used
> during your testing
>
> int e0
> mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
> exit

Thanks for the reply. I plugged in the mac address and did a reload and it
came back up this time with the IP of the pc but my connection is still
slow. Maybe I have a broken router? I don't see any errors on a sho int
anywhere, I just don't understand what happened.

creacendo 04-25-2004 01:21 AM

Eugene wrote:
> *mh wrote:
>
> > Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> > try changing the MAC address on your outside router's Ethernet
> > interface to be the same as the MAC address on the PC that yo

> used
> > during your testing
> >
> > int e0
> > mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
> > exit

> Thanks for the reply. I plugged in the mac address and did a reloa
> and it
> came back up this time with the IP of the pc but my connection i
> still
> slow. Maybe I have a broken router? I don't see any errors on a sh
> int
> anywhere, I just don't understand what happened. *

I wanna do the same thing. Use my cisco 2507 router with time warne
cable. I need help since i'm new to this, very new and have set up th
cisco router as instructed in the book but have no clue how to make i
work with cable provided by rode runner. Please anyone?

-
creacend

Eugene 04-26-2004 01:50 AM

creacendo wrote:

> Eugene wrote:
>> *mh wrote:
>>
>> > Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > try changing the MAC address on your outside router's Ethernet
>> > interface to be the same as the MAC address on the PC that you

>> used
>> > during your testing
>> >
>> > int e0
>> > mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
>> > exit

>> Thanks for the reply. I plugged in the mac address and did a reload
>> and it
>> came back up this time with the IP of the pc but my connection is
>> still
>> slow. Maybe I have a broken router? I don't see any errors on a sho
>> int
>> anywhere, I just don't understand what happened. *

> I wanna do the same thing. Use my cisco 2507 router with time warner
> cable. I need help since i'm new to this, very new and have set up the
> cisco router as instructed in the book but have no clue how to make it
> work with cable provided by rode runner. Please anyone?.
>

> --
> creacendo

Look on cisco's site for the example NAT setup. I used that.