Velocity Reviews

-   -   Removing language comparisons (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t321268-removing-language-comparisons.html)

A.M. Kuchling 08-21-2003 01:51 AM

Removing language comparisons

python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
<http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>. They're all pretty outdated,
and often unfair because they're written by a person who knows Python well
but has only a nodding acquaintance with language X.

I'm planning to drop this page from python.org because it's so outdated and
no one is around to maintain it. If anyone wants to grab the contents and
turn them into a Wiki page, or use bits of them for marketing material,
please do it now.

--amk

Gary Feldman 08-21-2003 11:43 AM

Re: Removing language comparisons

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:51:30 -0500, "A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> wrote:

>python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
><http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>.

>I'm planning to drop this page from python.org because it's so outdated and

If it weren't for the Python vs. Perl papers, I'd still be using Perl.

I suggest simply creating an "Archive" section near the bottom of the page,
and moving any links whose contents you know to be wrong to that section.
But please, please don't remove the page altogether. Most comparision
issues simply aren't going to change, so the articles just get old, not
outdated.

Gary

Duncan Booth 08-21-2003 12:07 PM

Re: Removing language comparisons

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> wrote in

> python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
><http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>. They're all pretty
>outdated,
> and often unfair because they're written by a person who knows Python
> well but has only a nodding acquaintance with language X.

How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of people, one
Python user who knows a bit of the other language and one person who lives
and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but knows a bit of Python? That way you
might end up with some genuinely objective comparisons showing both sides
of the fence.

--
Duncan Booth duncan@rcp.co.uk

A.M. Kuchling 08-21-2003 12:16 PM

Re: Removing language comparisons

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:43:59 GMT,
> But please, please don't remove the page altogether. Most comparision
> issues simply aren't going to change, so the articles just get old, not
> outdated.

But comparison issues do change over time, e.g. the Python/Scheme comparison
at http://www.python.org/doc/pythonVSscheme.html says Python uses only
refcounting GC, and claims the Python and Jython implementations are
explicitly synchronized. Java performance numbers cited are for JDK 1.1.7,
Python performance numbers are for 1.5.2, and so forth.

--amk

Skip Montanaro 08-21-2003 02:37 PM

Re: Removing language comparisons

Duncan> How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of
Duncan> people, one Python user who knows a bit of the other language
Duncan> and one person who lives and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but
Duncan> knows a bit of Python?

Did I just hear you volunteer to head up the effort? ;-)

Skip

Gary Feldman 08-21-2003 05:51 PM

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:16:16 -0500, "A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> wrote:

>But comparison issues do change over time, e.g. the Python/Scheme comparison
>at http://www.python.org/doc/pythonVSscheme.html says Python uses only
>refcounting GC, and claims the Python and Jython implementations are
>explicitly synchronized. Java performance numbers cited are for JDK 1.1.7,
>Python performance numbers are for 1.5.2, and so forth.

Of course, those aren't language comparisons. They're implementation
comparisons. And sure, some language issues do change, but most of the
fundamentals don't. Perl will always have funky character prefixes, Java
will always have static typing, etc.

Gary

Mike Rovner 08-21-2003 06:33 PM

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
> <http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>. They're all pretty
> outdated, and often unfair because they're written by a person who
> knows Python well but has only a nodding acquaintance with language X.
>
> I'm planning to drop this page from python.org because it's so
> outdated and no one is around to maintain it. If anyone wants to
> grab the contents and turn them into a Wiki page, or use bits of them
> for marketing material, please do it now.

Done.

See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmo...ageComparisons

Mike

Paul Paterson 08-22-2003 04:55 AM

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:07:33 +0000 (UTC),
> Duncan Booth <duncan@NOSPAMrcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of people,

one
> > Python user who knows a bit of the other language and one person who

lives
> > and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but knows a bit of Python? That way you

> A good idea, but unless some volunteer steps forward to do the work, it's
> not going to happen.

A lot of the documentation I am putting together for the vb2Py project is
easily reworkable into a comparison of Python and Visual Basic. I don't mind
spending some time on that if people think it is of value.

Paul