Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Python's biggest compromises (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t320666-re-pythons-biggest-compromises.html)

Gerrit Holl 08-06-2003 07:27 PM

Re: Python's biggest compromises

> > Python predates Java.
> Yeah, snakes drink coffee too.

Both for Python and Java is true that it is unclear when in emerged.
Pythons have existed for a looooooooong time, so has Jawa. But only
since Mankind has emerged they are called as such. I think Pythons
were known earlier in the west. Do Pythons live on Jawa? I don't know...

Are Pearls and Ruby's organic? I don't think so - which must mean that
they are even older.

C is definetely newer because it requires the alphabet.

Pascal is even newer, he lived very recently in this context.

Gerrit.

--
190. If a man does not maintain a child that he has adopted as a son
and reared with his other children, then his adopted son may return to his

Syver Enstad 08-06-2003 09:43 PM

Gerrit Holl <gerrit@nl.linux.org> writes:

> Are Pearls and Ruby's organic? I don't think so - which must mean
> that they are even older.

I'll agree with Ruby's but perls are made my shells. Huh, I didn't
get that joke before I wrote it.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

Alex Martelli 08-06-2003 10:21 PM

Gerrit Holl wrote:

>> > Python predates Java.

>> Yeah, snakes drink coffee too.

> Both for Python and Java is true that it is unclear when in emerged.
> Pythons have existed for a looooooooong time, so has Jawa. But only

Not really. What existed (in Ethiopia, only) as a wild plant variant of
coffee, before man got to it, has by now a rather thin relation with the
widespread coffee plants -- and it didn't grow on the island of Java,
nor anywhere else in Indonesia, only in a small corner of Ethiopia.

Generally, man has had a huge influence on plants and animals it
raises, a much thinner one on those it doesn't; often it makes sense
to consider different species for the agriculturally or pastorally
"enhanced" (from man's viewpoint) variants, with respect to the
preexistent wild "cousins". Thus, I would suggest "Java" didn't
exist before (at most) about 1000 years ago -- while phythons most
assuredly did.

> Pascal is even newer, he lived very recently in this context.

"Ada", on the other hand, being the start of "Adam", might claim
older genesis.

"C sharp" presumably requires musical instruments on a well-
tempered scale -- if so, then it seems to me it should be even
newer than Pascal.

Alex

Matej Cepl 08-06-2003 11:12 PM

On 2003-08-06, 19:27 GMT, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> Pythons have existed for a looooooooong time, so has Jawa. But only

But Jawa is neither programming language nor coffee, but trademark of
motorcycles from my native Czech Republic :-).

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,

Bengt Richter 08-08-2003 12:54 AM

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:57:26 GMT, Carl Banks <imbosol@aerojockey.com> wrote:

>Alex Martelli wrote:
>> "Ada", on the other hand, being the start of "Adam", might claim
>> older genesis.

>I disagree. Ada refers to a specific person, Ada Lovelace, who lived
>in the 19th century, and was credited as the world's first programmer.
>Python, Pascal, Java, and C (which goes back to the Etruscans, at
>least) all predate Ada.

The world's first programmer was Eve, when she gave Adam a list of things to do ;-)
Real time programming emerged when she told him to what to do when, in order to
get all the food served hot at the same time ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Cliff Wells 08-08-2003 03:36 AM

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:54, Bengt Richter wrote:
> The world's first programmer was Eve, when she gave Adam a list of things to do ;-)
> Real time programming emerged when she told him to what to do when, in order to
> get all the food served hot at the same time ;-)

And choosing Apple was a mistake even back then <wink>

Regards,
Cliff

--
People climbing up the walls, breaking all of my wretched dolls
Fingernails they scratch outside, in the attic is where I'll hide

Dennis Lee Bieber 08-09-2003 07:33 PM

Re: Python's biggest compromises

Gerrit Holl fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 06 August 2003
12:27 pm:

> Are Pearls and Ruby's organic? I don't think so - which must mean that
> they are even older.

Pearls are organic -- they're basically condensed slime from mollusks
excuded to cover up an irritation...

Marc Wilson 08-10-2003 07:28 PM

Re: Python's biggest compromises

In comp.lang.python, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> (Dennis Lee
Bieber) wrote in <lfqf01-0f3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>::

|Gerrit Holl fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 06 August 2003
|12:27 pm:
|

|> Are Pearls and Ruby's organic? I don't think so - which must mean that
|> they are even older.
|>
| Pearls are organic -- they're basically condensed slime from mollusks
|excuded to cover up an irritation...

Rubies are (IIRC) a form of corundum (aluminium oxide), with impurities that
render them red. They're produced by intense pressure deep underground.
The first ruby will have been older than the first python. Whether oysters
or pythons came first, I don't know- but as life originated in the sea, my
money's on the oysters.
--
Marc Wilson

Cleopatra Consultants Limited - IT Consultants
2 The Grange, Cricklade Street, Old Town, Swindon SN1 3HG
Tel: (44/0) 70-500-15051 Fax: (44/0) 870 164-0054
Mail: info@cleopatra.co.uk Web: http://www.cleopatra.co.uk
Try MailTraq at https://my.mailtraq.com/register.asp?code=cleopatra