Velocity Reviews

-   -   distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319893-distutils-core-not-in-debian-python2-2-package.html)

Kent Tenney 07-19-2003 10:02 PM

distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package

Howdy,

I did;
# apt-get install python2.2

# python
Python 2.2.1

then checked docutils out of CVS
and did;

docutils# python ./setup.py install

ImportError: No module named distutils.core

How do I install distutils?

Thanks,
Kent

Kent Tenney 07-20-2003 10:56 AM

Re: distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package

Thanks

It surprises me to find distutils in a package described as:

"Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)"

Kent

Alessio Pace 07-21-2003 09:55 AM

Re: distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package

I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
No distutils for python2.3 developers?

--
bye
Alessio Pace

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?= 07-21-2003 12:03 PM

Kent Tenney wrote:
> David M. Cooke wrote:
>> In general, if you need to compile, or develop, you need the
>> corresponding *-dev packages.

> I didn't need to compile or develop, just install.
>
> I expected
>
> $ python ./setup.py install
>
> to work out of the box. [...]

From the view of the packagers, you only need disutils for development
work. Manually installing modules counts as "development" as well. At
least to them.

-- Gerhard

David M. Cooke 07-21-2003 08:23 PM

At some point, Alessio Pace <puccio_13@yahoo.it> wrote:

> I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
> No distutils for python2.3 developers?

?? There is for me
$ apt-cache search python2.3-dev
python2.3-dev - Header files and a static library for Python (v2.3)
$