Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: wxPython questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319835-re-wxpython-questions.html)

Dave Brueck 07-17-2003 09:38 PM

Re: wxPython questions

On Thursday 17 July 2003 02:52 pm, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> How reliable is wxPython? This is the big one.

At my company we use it in one of our production applications on Win98/2k/XP
and haven't had any crashes reported. We can get it to crash in development
pretty easily, but it's usually when we're doing something iffy. YMMV of
course, and maybe our users just don't report crashes. :)

> How difficult is it in practice to get all the
> core dumps out of a medium-sized wxPython app?

For us there hasn't been any "special" or additional work in this area - IOW
debugging GUI problems and flakiness seems to have been on par with debugging
problems and flakiness in the rest of the app.

> Presumably many of the wxWindows helper classes aren't needed in wxPython.
> Besides the actual widget classes, what other wxWindows classes must a
> wxPython app use? Any others besides wxColor, wxIcon and wxFont? What
> about strings? I'd much rather use Python strings instead of wxString.

I can't think of too many off the top of my head. Generally, if Python has an
easier way to do something then the Python way works in wx. For example, you
don't have to use the wxSize class since you can always just use an (x,y)
tuple (maybe there's an exception to that rule, but I haven't seen it yet).
Ditto for strings. Also, if you look in the wxWindows help files there's
often a Python-only variation of APIs to make them more Pythonic.

> Is it possible to have an app that creates multiple windows without using
> wxDoc and allies?

You can create as many top-level windows (wxFrames) as you want, if I
understand you correctly, and they can be hidden or visible.

> My app presently creates a hidden TK root window, and
> manages all other Tk windows by hand. Is something like this possible in
> wxPython?

At least on Windows, yes. I assume it's the same in other OS's too.

-Dave

P.S. There's a wxPython mailing list you may find more useful - check
wxPython.org for details.

Edward K. Ream 07-18-2003 05:35 PM

Re: wxPython questions

Many thanks, Dave, for these most helpful responses. I think the next step
is to do some prototyping...

> For example, you don't have to use the wxSize class since you can always

just use an (x,y) tuple (maybe there's an exception to that rule, but I
haven't seen it yet). Ditto for strings.

Oh bliss, oh rapture. Oh rapture, oh bliss :-)

> P.S. There's a wxPython mailing list you may find more useful - check

wxPython.org for details.

Will do. In this case, though, your answer was just what I was hoping for.

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: edreamleo@charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines