Velocity Reviews

-   -   html tags and webpages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319819-html-tags-and-webpages.html)

jeff 07-17-2003 03:11 PM

html tags and webpages

Hiya,

I had a go at this in perl and to be fairly honest perl scared me, i
didnt like the language one bit, ive used python before and find it a
"clean" language to use.

Basically what i want to do is create a script in python that will
look at a website and pull off a certain type of html tag and anything
contained within them tags,

I did this in perl but would like to do it in python, in perl i had to
use a module would i need to do this sort of think in python??

any help greatly appreciated, im not OS specific as i use both windows
and linux but that wouldnt matter for a scripting language other than
in the file handling??

cheers

greg

Harald Massa 07-17-2003 05:39 PM

Re: html tags and webpages

gret,

google for dive into python.

Exactly your job is described there in great detail, with examples.

Best wishes,

harald

Rene Pijlman 07-17-2003 06:43 PM

Re: html tags and webpages

jeff:
>Basically what i want to do is create a script in python that will
>look at a website and pull off a certain type of html tag and anything
>contained within them tags,

This is what you need:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/lib/module-urllib.html
http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/lib/...TMLParser.html