Velocity Reviews

-   -   md5 consistent across platforms/Python versions? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319713-md5-consistent-across-platforms-python-versions.html)

Gary Robinson 07-15-2003 03:03 PM

md5 consistent across platforms/Python versions?

Hi,

I know that hash functions are often platform-dependent for efficiency
reasons. From what I understand, this includes Python's hash(), which I have
read is not guaranteed to return the same result across platforms or even
across Python versions.

Can someone tell me whether an MD5 hash using Python's MD5 library IS
guaranteed to return the same results for the same input string, across
platforms and Python versions?

My limited understanding of how MD5 is normally used would seem to indicate
that this must be the case, but it would be helpful for me to have
confirmation, since my knowledge in this area is very limited.

--Gary

--
Putting http://wecanstopspam.org in your email helps it pass through
overzealous spam filters.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
http://www.transpose.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0101454

Erik Max Francis 07-16-2003 12:35 AM

Re: md5 consistent across platforms/Python versions?

Gary Robinson wrote:

> I know that hash functions are often platform-dependent for efficiency
> reasons. From what I understand, this includes Python's hash(), which
> I have
> read is not guaranteed to return the same result across platforms or
> even
> across Python versions.

Yes.

> Can someone tell me whether an MD5 hash using Python's MD5 library IS
> guaranteed to return the same results for the same input string,
> across
> platforms and Python versions?

Yes.

MD5 hashes and Python's internal hash function are unrelated.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ Nine worlds I remember.