Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319589-re-problem-with-mysqldb-on-mac-os-x.html)

Skip Montanaro 07-12-2003 03:37 PM

Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X...

Mike> I made modifications to setup.py to set safe threading to NO and
Mike> also to point to the "real" location of the mysql libraries and
Mike> stuff like that. To test it I wrote a simple script that just
Mike> tries to connect to the database. It fails. It also fails
Mike> interactively. Here is what I am getting...

Your script worked fine for me (Mac OS X 10.2.6, Python 2.3b1+), though I
didn't modify setup.py (at least not that I recall - it's been awhile).

Mike> The download, build and install went fine. This same code works
Mike> (well, different database name, user and password) on a different
Mike> machine. The database, username and password are all correct.

The only change I made was that the database is remote, so I set the host as
well.

Skip

Michael S. Jessop 07-13-2003 03:21 AM

Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X...

I tried supplying host as well, same error. :/ Something is hosed.
I guess I could try reinstalling. I really want to get this to work.
I am trying to write a maintenance program for my wife, so she can
remotely modify the database containing information about her artwork,
distribution lists, etc.

Mike J.

Peter Wilkinson 07-14-2003 05:02 PM

"Michael S. Jessop" <candiazoo@mac.com> wrote in message news:<120720032321075007%candiazoo@mac.com>...
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
> the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> I tried supplying host as well, same error. :/ Something is hosed.
> I guess I could try reinstalling. I really want to get this to work.
> I am trying to write a maintenance program for my wife, so she can
> remotely modify the database containing information about her artwork,
> distribution lists, etc.

I see exactly the same problem. My install is with MySQL and Python
both via Fink. Trying both 2.2 and 2.3 Python I get the same problem.

Trying to dig into it a little it looks as though the setup code isn't
populating some of the fields and methods and the error thrown shows
up because self.converter is set to None.

I'm going to try and figure this out but would be interested in any
insight others might have.

Peter.

Peter Wilkinson 07-14-2003 05:06 PM

Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X...

"Michael S. Jessop" <candiazoo@mac.com> wrote in message news:<120720032321075007%candiazoo@mac.com>...
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
> the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> I tried supplying host as well, same error. :/ Something is hosed.
> I guess I could try reinstalling. I really want to get this to work.
> I am trying to write a maintenance program for my wife, so she can
> remotely modify the database containing information about her artwork,
> distribution lists, etc.

I've just sorted out the problem on my machine and it appeared to be a
set of include files from a previous install of MySQL that were
sitting in /usr/include, once I removed that and rebuilt with setup.py
pointing to the Fink include paths it works fine.

Peter.

Michael S. Jessop 07-16-2003 04:41 AM

Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X...

I shall check it out! Thanks.

Mike J.

Michael S. Jessop 07-16-2003 04:46 AM

Re: Problem with MySQLdb on Mac OS X...

Oh CRIPES! I have 3 different sets of header files for MySQL!!! Now
the problem becomes: which do I select? /usr/includes/mysql is out...

I have a set under /Library/MySQL/include and a set under ... oh
wait... those are in an application package - so nevermind. I guess I
just answered my own question! Thanks Peter...

Mike