Velocity Reviews

-   -   command prompt change dir (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319536-command-prompt-change-dir.html)

Peter Vestergaard 07-11-2003 06:39 AM

command prompt change dir

Hi
Probably a simple question but I have not been able to find out how:
I want my python script to generate a path based on some simple lookups and
then change my path so that when the script exits my command prompt (from
which I launched the script) is standing at this path. The path already
exists.
I have tried chdir(path), system('cd '+path) and many others but none
changes my actual path.
Hope anyone can help
Regards, Peter Vestergaard

Tim Roberts 07-13-2003 04:57 AM

Re: command prompt change dir

"Peter Vestergaard" <posselt@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Probably a simple question but I have not been able to find out how:
>I want my python script to generate a path based on some simple lookups and
>then change my path so that when the script exits my command prompt (from
>which I launched the script) is standing at this path. The path already
>exists.
>I have tried chdir(path), system('cd '+path) and many others but none
>changes my actual path.

How many times do you need to do this? You can set the PATH environment
variable and spawn off a new copy of cmd.exe, which will inherit your
modified environment.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?I=F1igo?= Serna 07-13-2003 08:13 PM

Re: command prompt change dir

Hello,

I think this is the solution midnight commander uses.

In lfm [1], I use something similar: I've created next shell function in
/etc/bashrc:

lfm ()
{
/usr/bin/lfm $*;
LFMPATHFILE=/tmp/lfm-$$.path;
cd "`cat $LFMPATHFILE`";
rm -f -f $LFMPATHFILE
}

Before exit, the program writes the directory into a temporal file
/tmp/lfm-pid.path, where pid is the process id of lfm, then change the
directory.

I hope this helps,
Iņigo

[1] http://www.terra.es/personal9/inigoserna/lfm

El vie, 11-07-2003 a las 10:28, Martin Franklin escribiķ:

Peter Vestergaard 07-14-2003 12:10 PM

Re: command prompt change dir

Hi
The idea of a temporary file seemed a bit ugly to me, but at second thought
it ain't that bad, and now I have made a solution with 1 bat file (call
python, call temp.bat, del temp.bat), 1 python file and 1 temporary bat
file, which works exactly as I wanted it.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
/Peter

"Iņigo Serna" <inigoserna@terra.es> wrote in message