Velocity Reviews

-   -   Executables under Win32 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319429-executables-under-win32.html)

Fuzzyman 07-09-2003 08:37 AM

Executables under Win32

IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
write ?

I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
for a newbie to use my scripts.

Fuzzyman
---
Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. -Milan Kundera

http://www.voidspace.org.uk
Where Headspace Meets Cyberspace
Cyberpunk and Science Resource Site
Exploring the worlds of Psychology, Spirituality, Science and Computing
--
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk

Peter Hansen 07-09-2003 09:57 AM

Re: Executables under Win32

Fuzzyman wrote:

> IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
> or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
> write ?
>
> I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
> for a newbie to use my scripts.

(Excellently asked question! We get this one often, but rarely so
clearly. :-)

There is py2exe and the Macmillan Installer, as well as some lesser
known alternatives. py2exe runs on Windows only, the other on Windows
and Linux (at least). A quick Google for either should get you there...

-Peter

Peter Hansen 07-09-2003 09:59 AM

Re: Executables under Win32

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Fuzzyman wrote:
> >
> > IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
> > or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
> > write ?
> >
> > I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
> > for a newbie to use my scripts.

> (Excellently asked question! We get this one often, but rarely so
> clearly. :-)

Of course, having written this, I should have stopped myself from
answering as I did and directed you to the FAQ!

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.p...=faq04.028.htp

Kevin Cazabon 07-09-2003 07:37 PM

Re: Executables under Win32

> >There is py2exe and the Macmillan Installer, as well as some lesser
> >known alternatives. py2exe runs on Windows only, the other on Windows
> >and Linux (at least). A quick Google for either should get you there...
> >
> >-Peter

> Many thanks :-)

And let me say that py2exe is amazingly simple to use, and works
flawlessly (at least for the 4-5 applications I've used it for) even
for Tcl/Tk programs that some of the other .exe options have issues
with.

Also, if you need an independent installer program to install the
resulting .exe and files, innosetup works very well
(www.innosetup.com).

(Thanks to everyone working on those projects!!!)
Kevin.