Velocity Reviews

-   -   Python vs PHP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319338-python-vs-php.html)

Catalin 07-07-2003 10:47 AM

Python vs PHP

Can Python replace PHP?
Can I use a python program to make an interface to a mysql 4.X database?
If that's possible where can I find a tutorial?

News M Claveau /Hamster-P 07-07-2003 11:54 AM

Re: Python vs PHP

Hi !

PHP-5 let down MySql, for Sql-Lite (rumor ?)

Python has good support for MySql AND Sql-Lite.

@+

Michel Claveau

Aahz 07-07-2003 01:44 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

In article <mailman.1057574470.1750.python-list@python.org>,
Catalin <ady982@ploiesti.astral.ro> wrote:

>Can Python replace PHP?
>Can I use a python program to make an interface to a mysql 4.X database?

The short answer is "yes" to both questions, but with a caveat: Python is
a general-purpose programming language, where PHP is designed to write
web applications. So it's not quite as simple/straightforward to use
Python the same way you use PHP for plain web pages; conversely, if
you've been running into difficulty with PHP in trying to write
complicated program logic, you'll find Python a big help.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Not everything in life has a clue in front of it...." --JMS

Bruno Desthuilliers 07-07-2003 07:44 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

News M Claveau /Hamster-P wrote:
> Hi !
>
> PHP-5 let down MySql, for Sql-Lite (rumor ?)

PHP 5 won't come bundled with a default MySql lib, but anyone is still
free to link against the official MySQL lib, one way or another...

And yes, the default 'bundled-in' SQL lib should be Sql-lite.

Bruno

Jaroslaw Zabiello 07-08-2003 09:14 AM

Re: Python vs PHP

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:47:00 +0300, Catalin

Sure. Look at http://spyce.sourceforge.net

Of course, you can. http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/
E.g. http://dustman.net/andy/python/MySQLdb_obsolete

http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.py

--
JZ

Jp Calderone 07-08-2003 10:17 AM

Re: Python vs PHP

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:14:10AM +0200, Jaroslaw Zabiello wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:47:00 +0300, Catalin
> <ady982@ploiesti.astral.ro> wrote:
>
> >Can Python replace PHP?

> Sure. Look at http://spyce.sourceforge.net

Lest the OP think Spyce is the only or even the preferred solution for web
programming with Python:

http://cherrypy.org/

http://www.twistedmatrix.com/

http://skunkweb.sf.net

http://webware.sf.net

http://zope.org

http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross

http://jonpy.sf.net

http://jotweb.tummy.com/

And let's not forget plain old CGI and mod_python.

Jp

--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their
home."

Afanasiy 07-08-2003 03:56 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:47:00 +0300, Catalin <ady982@ploiesti.astral.ro>
wrote:

>Can Python replace PHP?
>Can I use a python program to make an interface to a mysql 4.X database?
>If that's possible where can I find a tutorial?

I recommend Spyce, Webware, or Quixote depending on your requirements,
but Draco, SkunkWeb, RoadKill are worth looking into as well. Spyce is
really the best (for PHP-ness) in my opinion, after you actually get past
the fact that it supports your old fashioned notion of what embedded
delimiters should look like, as well as a new CTS-friendly alternative.

Spyce is the closest thing to PHP, but also provides some features PHP
does not. However, I think you will find some people, like myself, who are
still unable to make the switch from PHP to Python for web development,
because of a lot of little things. These people know Python is better and
may even know their non-web PHP applications are hell compared to their
Python re-implementations. However, they still use PHP for web development
and feel they have to. They may have even written out all the requirements
and received vague responses to them.

Python web development is fragmented. Mod_python CVS now contains the work
of what used to be mod_psp by Sterling Hughes, a PHP warlord, I'm sure
he'll reply. This possibly soon to be official 'PSP' is not much in my
opinion and should probably not be folded into mod_python. Others agree:

http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/m...ne/003200.html

Another big problem with Python web development is the lack of good shared
hosting support. Primarily the lack of anything resembling PHP's safe
mode. Mod_python has no equivalent of this safe mode, but Apache 2's
'Perchild MPM' is supposed deprecates this need. However, this still
requires an httpd.conf edit and a restart of Apache for every user added,
very annoying, especially to a shared hosting service.

http://apache.slashdot.org/apache/02...206.shtml?tid=
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/m...er/001705.html

A couple other slight issues :

* catch-all error handling not as flexible or non-existent
* no equivalent to php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"
* no equivalent to php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"
* not as intelligent form value handling
* white space sensitivity is a unique problem when embedding

The best options for me are currently :

* use PHP
* use Spyce
* fork Spyce (creating more fragmentation)
* embed python straight into my favorite platform (quite funny)
* write my own mod_python-based platform (more fragmentation)
* find the holy grail (i must have missed it)

I've been handling this dilemma for months. I've even benchmarked quite a
few possible solutions, with pleasing results in those which I thought
were well done, and pleasing results for Python over PHP in general.

-AB

Jon Ribbens 07-08-2003 04:02 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

In article <kmolgv4mp12o71ocion7ra0m2s9fcrqjdk@4ax.com>, Afanasiy wrote:
> A couple other slight issues :
>
> * catch-all error handling not as flexible or non-existent
> * no equivalent to php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"
> * no equivalent to php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"
> * not as intelligent form value handling
> * white space sensitivity is a unique problem when embedding

Try jonpy (http://jonpy.sf.net/), it solves all of the above.
Also you may find FastCGI (which jonpy supports) helps with your
"safe mode" problem, although it might require a bit of hackery.

Afanasiy 07-08-2003 04:04 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:56:58 GMT, Afanasiy <abelikov72@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:47:00 +0300, Catalin <ady982@ploiesti.astral.ro>
>wrote:

>A couple other slight issues :
>
>* catch-all error handling not as flexible or non-existent
>* no equivalent to php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"
>* no equivalent to php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"
>* not as intelligent form value handling
>* white space sensitivity is a unique problem when embedding

I think I should add import, pythonpath and module caching to this list.
These are much more annoying than PHP's inclusion mechanisms. I am even
annoyed in non-web applications by them quite often, but not necessarily
all at the same time.

Also add to the list, the need for PyChecker. You must run PyChecker
to discover errors which would occur on a section of logic being hit
which contained a silly typographical error. PHP would discover these
without them being hit, when you were developing the page.

Python is more beautiful and more powerful, but for this purpose I
consider the current implementations still lacking compared to PHP.
So much so that I am unable to bring myself to write new PHP, but
unable to continue using Python until I find the perfect implementation.

-AB

Afanasiy 07-08-2003 04:12 PM

Re: Python vs PHP

On 8 Jul 2003 16:02:48 GMT, Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.co.uk>
wrote:

>In article <kmolgv4mp12o71ocion7ra0m2s9fcrqjdk@4ax.com>, Afanasiy wrote:
>> A couple other slight issues :
>>
>> * catch-all error handling not as flexible or non-existent
>> * no equivalent to php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"
>> * no equivalent to php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"
>> * not as intelligent form value handling
>> * white space sensitivity is a unique problem when embedding

>Try jonpy (http://jonpy.sf.net/), it solves all of the above.
>Also you may find FastCGI (which jonpy supports) helps with your
>"safe mode" problem, although it might require a bit of hackery.

No, CGI is not an option and I tried jonpy. I kept my notes about it...