Velocity Reviews

-   -   Apache mod_python and Sessions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319239-apache-mod_python-and-sessions.html)

Markus Schaber 07-04-2003 11:16 AM

Apache mod_python and Sessions

Hi,

Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and provides session tracking?

I tried pso, but this didn't work as it should. Running in mod_python gives me one session per server process, and the session data is not rewritten to disk. Explicitly calling session.save() (as stated in the doc) fails with the error message that a dictionary doesn't have the "save" attribute. Calling it as CGI sputs the log files with error messages about missing permissions.

The apache-provided mod_session seems to miss python bindings.

I tried to google, but only found perl modules (except the pso package that doesn't work.)

Does anybody know a working solution?

Thanks,
Markus

Dale Strickland-Clak 07-04-2003 02:31 PM

Re: Apache mod_python and Sessions

Markus Schaber pushed the bounds of literature with:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
> provides session tracking?
>
><Snip>
> Thanks,
> Markus

This is pretty easy to do by hand using MD5 and a cookie.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd, www.riverhall.co.uk

Van Gale 07-04-2003 11:10 PM

Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and provides session tracking?

Most of the python web programming frameworks have session handling.
Here are a few:

Quixote http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/doc/
Albatross http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/
Webware http://webware.sourceforge.net/
Jonpy http://jonpy.sf.net
Spyce http://spyce.sf.net
JOTweb http://jotweb.tummy.com/

More information can be found at:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming
http://colorstudy.com/docs/shootout.html

Here's an example of a module that does its own session handling using
MySQL for storage:

http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/LD...viewcvs-markup

Van Gale

Ng Pheng Siong 07-05-2003 02:26 PM

According to Dale Strickland-Clak <dale@riverhall.NOSPAM.co.uk>:
> Markus Schaber pushed the bounds of literature with:
> > Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
> > provides session tracking?

> This is pretty easy to do by hand using MD5 and a cookie.

Throw in a secret and get HMAC-MD5.

See AuthCookies in M2Crypto, http://www.post1.com/home/ngps/m2

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@netmemetic.com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Markus Schaber 07-07-2003 07:19 AM

Re: Apache mod_python and Sessions

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:16:17 +0200
Markus Schaber <scpusenet@werbung.schabi.de> wrote:

> Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
> provides session tracking?

Thanks for all that answered, I now found the nice debian package
python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

I just was too stupid by including "apache" in all my search requests on google and apt-cache - this filtered out lots of useful answers...

Thanks,
Markus

Irmen de Jong 07-07-2003 05:50 PM

Markus Schaber wrote:
> python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
> that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

What!? Why!?
Any sane explanation why you should go with slow, outdated CGI scripts
instead of the nice, fast web server integration of mod_python?

--Irmen

Markus Schaber 07-08-2003 07:30 AM

Re: Apache mod_python and Sessions

Hello,

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:50:11 +0200
Irmen de Jong <irmen@-NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Markus Schaber wrote:
> > python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
> > that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

> What!? Why!?
> Any sane explanation why you should go with slow, outdated CGI scripts
> instead of the nice, fast web server integration of mod_python?

The script will have a very low usage (maybe about ten sessions a month). And it spends lots of time doing ldap database queries, so the starting overhead doesn't hurt so much.

Additionally, the webserver currently doesn't have mod_python installed, and there is the fear that every additional module has disadvantages (bigger startup/fork time, potential bugs, memory footprint).

I hope that these two argumens are "sane" in your world, at least they are sane enough for my boss.

Greets,
Markus

Irmen de Jong 07-08-2003 05:55 PM

Markus Schaber wrote:

> The script will have a very low usage (maybe about ten sessions a month).
> And it spends lots of time doing ldap database queries, so the starting
> overhead doesn't hurt so much.

This clears it all up. No further comments ;-)

--Irmen