Velocity Reviews

-   -   Some guidance please: A Python multitrack recorder? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319228-some-guidance-please-a-python-multitrack-recorder.html)

Dfenestr8 07-04-2003 07:15 AM

Some guidance please: A Python multitrack recorder?

Hi.

I'm no coder. I'm just a working guy who likes to tinker with computers in
my spare time.

That's my hobby. My passion is: playing instruments. Combining the two,
I've made a couple of event driven, GUI controlled progs in Python and
tKinter before. I made an abc/midi player, using the timidity, and
abc2midi packages. I also did a metronome, using the Snack sound toolkit.

My next project is to make my own sound recorder, using Tkinter and the
Snack Sound toolkit. I have an idea, that using multiple threads for each
recording track, I could eventually develop it into a multitrack recorder.
I could use linux SOX to add effects to each track.

Does this sound like a stupidly complicated idea for a newby?

Also, is the Python interpreter fast enough for this sort of work?
Especially on a pII 450Mhz with only 256 meg?

Would I be better off just sticking with a single track recorder, until
the day I get around to seriously studying a compiler language like C++?

Here's the skeleton of the code I'm writing......

#! /usr/bin/python

from Tkinter import *
from os import popen, popen2
import threading
import tkSnack

root = Tk()
tkSnack.initializeSnack(root)

class RecThread(threading.Thread):
#this thread accesses the Snack toolkit
#and actually does the recording
def __init__ (self, master = None):
threading.Thread.__init__(self, master)

class TrackFrame(Frame):
#this frame will contain the controls for running RecThead
#including Rec, Play, and Mute Radiobutton contols.
def __init__ (self, master = None):
Frame.__init__(self, master)

class ControlFrame(Frame):
#this contains all the arrow keys for controlling TrackFrame
#it will have Start, Stop, and Pause buttons
def __init__ (self, master = None):
Frame.__init__(self, master)

class Application(Frame):
#this is the layout for all of the above
def __init__ (self, master = None):
Frame.__init__(self, master)

if __name__ == '__main__':

root.App = Application()
root.App.master.title("Un Recorder")
root.App.mainloop()

Egor Bolonev 07-04-2003 07:53 AM

Re: Some guidance please: A Python multitrack recorder?

Hello, Dfenestr8!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:15:11 +0900:

D> I'm no coder. I'm just a working guy who likes to tinker with computers
D> in my spare time.

[Snipped]

D> Also, is the Python interpreter fast enough for this sort of work?
D> Especially on a pII 450Mhz with only 256 meg?

The developers build such modules as tkSnack with C/C++, so they work fast.

D> Would I be better off just sticking with a single track recorder, until
D> the day I get around to seriously studying a compiler language like C++?

Python is a kind of serious language. If you can find all low-level modules
your programm need, then you have not to use C++.

[Snipped]

With best regards, Egor Bolonev. E-mail: ebolonev@rol.ru [ru eo en]

Sandy Norton 07-04-2003 02:34 PM

"Dfenestr8" wrote in message:

> I'm no coder. I'm just a working guy who likes to tinker with computers in
> my spare time.
>
> That's my hobby. My passion is: playing instruments. Combining the two,
> I've made a couple of event driven, GUI controlled progs in Python and
> tKinter before. I made an abc/midi player, using the timidity, and
> abc2midi packages. I also did a metronome, using the Snack sound toolkit.

If you like python and music you may be interested in these links:

- http://csounds.com/
- http://www.csounds.com/stevenyi/blue/

- http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OSC/
- http://galatea.stetson.edu/cgi-bin/v...i/ProctoLogic/