Velocity Reviews

-   -   A possible bug in python threading/time module? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t319115-a-possible-bug-in-python-threading-time-module.html)

vm_usenet 07-02-2003 08:39 AM

A possible bug in python threading/time module?

Hi everyone,

I've been running this segment of code (slightly simplified to
emphasize the main part):

----START of Script----

import time
import threading

sem = threading.Semaphore(2048)

class MyThread(threading.Thread):
def __init__(self):
threading.Thread.__init__(self)
sem.acquire()

def run(self):
j = 0
for i in range(1000):
j = j+1
time.sleep(60)
sem.release()

#main
for i in range(4096):
MyThread().start()

----END of Script----

I ran it on python 2.2.2 and python 2.3b1, and on both all of the
threads started successfully, acquiring the semaphore until 0
resources were left.
However, about 10-20 threads remain active after a while (and the
semaphore is lacking resources, respectively). I waited for about two
hours, and nothing changed - it appears to be hanging. Did anyone
encounter this behaviour before?
Am I the only one who ran into this situation? Is this a bug?

Thanx in advance

vm