Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Staying Connected to a POP3/SMTP Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t318847-re-staying-connected-to-a-pop3-smtp-server.html)

Irmen de Jong 06-25-2003 08:54 PM

Amos Joshua wrote:
> Would any Bad Things happen if I stayed connected to a POP3 and an
> SMTP server for say, an hour, while checking for new emails say, every
> ten seconds, and sending some at small intervals like that too?

If it is your own mail server, I think not.
If it is the mail server of your ISP, I think they won't be happy.
Checking for mail that often is a substantial load on the machine,
compared to 'normal use'.

I'm not sure, but the POP3 server may erminate the connection
if you keep it open for <specific interval> minutes...?
As a safeguard for people hogging server resources...

--Irmen