Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Booleans and comparison results (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t318800-re-booleans-and-comparison-results.html)

Gerrit Holl 06-24-2003 03:27 PM

Roman Suzi wrote:
> Just a thought. Why cmp() returns -1,0,1 while comparison
> results are False and True? Isn't it logical step to add
> Less, Equal and More?

> Less

> More

> Equal

Well, "Less" is not always the right term:

cmp("", " ")

Is "" less than " "? I don't think so: I think that for non-numbers, "Less"
and "More" may be misleading/incorrect. I like the idea though ;)

> rnd@onego.ru =\= My AI powered by GNU/Linux RedHat 7.3

17:26:55:2:gerrit@stopcontact:~$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

Gerrit.

--
7. If any one buy from the son or the slave of another man, without
witnesses or a contract, silver or gold, a male or female slave, an ox or

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) 06-25-2003 03:19 AM

Gerrit Holl wrote:
> Is "" less than " "? I don't think so: I think that for non-numbers, "Less"
> and "More" may be misleading/incorrect. I like the idea though ;)

Maybe "Before" and "After"?

Or "Preceding" and... er... um... "Postceding"?

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,