Velocity Reviews

-   -   what "google" do to search a pattern (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t317341-what-google-do-to-search-a-pattern.html)

junky_fellow 02-13-2004 11:07 AM

what "google" do to search a pattern

Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.

When i look for efficient ways of searching a string, they always
say compare your string with the strings in the file one by one.
if there are millions of web pages then these algorithms would
take considerable amount of time.

So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?

Anybody, any idea??

thanx in advance......

Christopher Benson-Manica 02-13-2004 11:28 AM

Re: what "google" do to search a pattern

junky_fellow <junky_fellow@yahoo.co.in> spoke thus:

> Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
> took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.

That's nice.

> So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
> thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?

(Why don't you Google for it? Yuk yuk yuk!)

Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3...lc-welcome.txt

Richard Bos 02-13-2004 11:33 AM

junky_fellow@yahoo.co.in (junky_fellow) wrote:

> So, what does google do for searching a pattern.

Why are you asking this in a newsgroup for C programming? It has nothing
whatsoever to do with us.

Ask Google, if they will tell you. Frankly, I doubt they'll show their
tricks to a random passer-by.

Richard

Dan Pop 02-13-2004 02:37 PM

In <8c7d4a6e.0402130307.289e77be@posting.google.com > junky_fellow@yahoo.co.in (junky_fellow) writes:

>Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
>took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.
>
>When i look for efficient ways of searching a string, they always
>say compare your string with the strings in the file one by one.
>if there are millions of web pages then these algorithms would
>take considerable amount of time.
>
>So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
>thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?
>
>Anybody, any idea??

And your C question was?...

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Bertrand Mollinier Toublet 02-13-2004 04:23 PM

[OT] Re: what "google" do to search a pattern

Richard Bos wrote:
> junky_fellow@yahoo.co.in (junky_fellow) wrote:
>

>>So, what does google do for searching a pattern.

> Why are you asking this in a newsgroup for C programming? It has nothing
> whatsoever to do with us.

Right.

> Ask Google, if they will tell you. Frankly, I doubt they'll show their
> tricks to a random passer-by.

However, note that there exists an open-source web indexing project,
called Nutch, that, being open-source, will show its tricks to anyone
interested.

--
Bertrand Mollinier Toublet
Currently looking for employment in the San Francisco Bay Area

Mike Wahler 02-13-2004 06:19 PM

Re: [OT] what "google" do to search a pattern

"junky_fellow" <junky_fellow@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
news:8c7d4a6e.0402130307.289e77be@posting.google.c om...
> Each time i submit some pattern to "google", it shows search
> took 0.XX seconds for exploring millions of web pages.
>
> When i look for efficient ways of searching a string, they always
> say compare your string with the strings in the file one by one.
> if there are millions of web pages then these algorithms would
> take considerable amount of time.
>
> So, what does google do for searching a pattern. Does it use
> thousands of parallel computers for this? Or something else?
>
> Anybody, any idea??

This is completely off-topic for clc, but...

1) As a database person, 'index' immediately springs
to my mind. :-)

2) When you look up a phone number in a printed directory,
do you check every word on every page? :-)

-Mike