Velocity Reviews

-   -   cast from sc_ufixed to int in systemC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t315708-cast-from-sc_ufixed-to-int-in-systemc.html)

Andreas 10-10-2003 02:42 PM

cast from sc_ufixed to int in systemC

Hi!

I'm working with systemC to realize a processor like structure in HDL.

I have a signed variable (RAM) declared after the systemC syntax
"sc_ufixed<32,32> RAM".

I also have an signed integer in my testbench, "int myIplImage.depth".

If I give this unsigned RAM the value of a signed variable
myIplImage.depth in my testbench,
::RAM[100] = myIplImage.depth;
the bit pattern is transferred.

But when I do it the other way around,
::myIplImage.depth = RAM[100];
to extract my results back to the testbench, the contest is messed up
since the RAM keeps a "bigger" value (since it's unsigned) then what
will fit into the signed variable "myIplImage.depth".

How can I transfer the unsigned value of my RAM back to the signed
variable in my testbench? (I like to do this in a bit wise matter,
just transfer the bit pattern.)

(PS. myIplImage.depth = (signed int)RAM[100] does not work...)

best regards,
Andreas Lundgren

Mark A. Odell 10-10-2003 03:32 PM

Re: cast from sc_ufixed to int in systemC

d99alu@efd.lth.se (Andreas) wrote in
news:f7cd4365.0310100642.57bd0921@posting.google.c om:

> I'm working with systemC to realize a processor like structure in HDL.

So why post to a different language's newsgroup? We don't answer C++
questions here either.

> I have a signed variable (RAM) declared after the systemC syntax
> "sc_ufixed<32,32> RAM".
>
> I also have an signed integer in my testbench, "int myIplImage.depth".

Since this isn't C, how are we suppose to help? The above line would be
syntax error. I think you need to search for a newsgroup or forum that
discusses SystemC, a different language from ISO C.

--
- Mark ->

pete 10-11-2003 02:15 AM

Andreas wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working with systemC to realize a processor like structure in HDL.
>
> I have a signed variable (RAM) declared after the systemC syntax
> "sc_ufixed<32,32> RAM".
>
> I also have an signed integer in my testbench, "int myIplImage.depth".
>
> If I give this unsigned RAM the value of a signed variable
> myIplImage.depth in my testbench,
> ::RAM[100] = myIplImage.depth;
> the bit pattern is transferred.
>
> But when I do it the other way around,
> ::myIplImage.depth = RAM[100];
> to extract my results back to the testbench, the contest is messed up
> since the RAM keeps a "bigger" value (since it's unsigned) then what
> will fit into the signed variable "myIplImage.depth".
>
> How can I transfer the unsigned value of my RAM back to the signed
> variable in my testbench? (I like to do this in a bit wise matter,
> just transfer the bit pattern.)
>
> (PS. myIplImage.depth = (signed int)RAM[100] does not work...)

*(unsigned*)(&myIplImage.depth) = RAM[100];

--
pete

Andreas 10-13-2003 01:16 PM

Re: cast from sc_ufixed to int in systemC

> Andreas wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm working with systemC to realize a processor like structure in HDL.
> >
> > I have a signed variable (RAM) declared after the systemC syntax
> > "sc_ufixed<32,32> RAM".
> >
> > I also have an signed integer in my testbench, "int myIplImage.depth".
> >
> > If I give this unsigned RAM the value of a signed variable
> > myIplImage.depth in my testbench,
> > ::RAM[100] = myIplImage.depth;
> > the bit pattern is transferred.
> >
> > But when I do it the other way around,
> > ::myIplImage.depth = RAM[100];
> > to extract my results back to the testbench, the contest is messed up
> > since the RAM keeps a "bigger" value (since it's unsigned) then what
> > will fit into the signed variable "myIplImage.depth".
> >
> > How can I transfer the unsigned value of my RAM back to the signed
> > variable in my testbench? (I like to do this in a bit wise matter,
> > just transfer the bit pattern.)
> >
> > (PS. myIplImage.depth = (signed int)RAM[100] does not work...)

> *(unsigned*)(&myIplImage.depth) = RAM[100];

Thank you very much! It works just fine!
/Andreas Lundgren

Andreas 10-13-2003 01:19 PM

Re: cast from sc_ufixed to int in systemC

> d99alu@efd.lth.se (Andreas) wrote in
> news:f7cd4365.0310100642.57bd0921@posting.google.c om:
>
> > I'm working with systemC to realize a processor like structure in HDL.

> So why post to a different language's newsgroup? We don't answer C++
> questions here either.
>
> > I have a signed variable (RAM) declared after the systemC syntax
> > "sc_ufixed<32,32> RAM".
> >
> > I also have an signed integer in my testbench, "int myIplImage.depth".

> Since this isn't C, how are we suppose to help? The above line would be
> syntax error. I think you need to search for a newsgroup or forum that
> discusses SystemC, a different language from ISO C.

Just because you don't know the answer to the questions doesn't mean
that everybody else is that ignorant. SystemC is just an extension of
C, and it wasn't a specific question on the systemC library.
/Andreas

Martin Ambuhl 10-13-2003 02:30 PM

Andreas wrote:

> Just because you don't know the answer to the questions doesn't mean
> that everybody else is that ignorant. SystemC is just an extension of
> C, and it wasn't a specific question on the systemC library.

Just because you are an ignorant fool does not make SystemC a C implementation.

--
Martin Ambuhl

Mark A. Odell 10-14-2003 01:23 PM

news:f7cd4365.0310130519.3b76b7d4@posting.google.c om:

nce this isn't C, how are we suppose to help? The above line would be
>> syntax error. I think you need to search for a newsgroup or forum that
>> discusses SystemC, a different language from ISO C.

> Just because you don't know the answer to the questions doesn't mean
> that everybody else is that ignorant. SystemC is just an extension of
> C, and it wasn't a specific question on the systemC library.

No, we don't talk about things that aren't topical *here* - even if we all
know the answer to your question.

--
- Mark ->