Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t315688-how-can-i-open-a-file-skip-first-2-lines-and-get-the-50th-character.html)

FrancisC 10-10-2003 01:22 AM

How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

EXP 0 R:\000\un\111\e00\e00noLog\1006\bdry_arc.e00
ARC 2
1 1 0 0 0 0 7

i.e., I want to get the "7" in the third line, how can I do that?

thx!!

Mike Wahler 10-10-2003 02:33 AM

Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

"FrancisC" <francischeng@hong-kong.crosswinds.net> wrote in message
> How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?
>
> EXP 0 R:\000\un\111\e00\e00noLog\1006\bdry_arc.e00
> ARC 2
> 1 1 0 0 0 0 7
>
> i.e., I want to get the "7" in the third line, how can I do that?

Please see the replies you already got to this
same message you posted in alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

And if you want to post to more than one group, crosspost,
don't multi-post.

Thank you.

-Mike

FrancisC 10-10-2003 02:46 AM

Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

how to crosspost?

"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> 在郵件
news:hUohb.3935$av5.398@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net 中撰寫...

Mike Wahler 10-10-2003 03:59 AM

Re: [link] How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

> how to crosspost?

When you write your message, list all the newsgroups
you want to post to in the 'newsgroup' field (but
use this feature sparingly, it's rarely appropriate
to post the same message to more than two or three
groups).

See www.usenet.org for more information about
how to use Usenet effectively, including why
not to "top-post" as you've just done. :-)

-Mike

Mark McIntyre 10-10-2003 10:20 PM

Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:46:13 +0800, in comp.lang.c , "FrancisC"
<francischeng@hong-kong.crosswinds.net> wrote:

>how to crosspost?

By reading your newsreader's instruction manual. Press F1 now and type
"crosspost" in the search box.

Seriously, we can't help you, because its offtopic in CLC and you're
using a different newsreader to many of us. Please don't tell us what
it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

--
Mark McIntyre

nospam@nospam.invalid 10-12-2003 04:46 PM

[OT]Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

Hello Mark McIntyre,

On 11-Oct-2003, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Please don't tell us what
> it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

How did you know?
BTW which newsreader am I using?

Joona I Palaste 10-12-2003 06:07 PM

Re: [OT]Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

nospam@nospam.invalid <nospam@nospam.invalid> scribbled the following:
> Hello Mark McIntyre,

> On 11-Oct-2003, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

>> Please don't tell us what
>> it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

> How did you know?

Perhaps from this bit here:

From francischeng@hong-kong.crosswinds.net Sun Oct 12 21:05:43 2003
From: "FrancisC" <francischeng@hong-kong.crosswinds.net>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:46:13 +0800
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

how to crosspost?

"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> 在郵件
news:hUohb.3935$av5.398@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net 中撰寫...

(snip)

> BTW which newsreader am I using?

Let's see.

From nospam@nospam.invalid Sun Oct 12 21:05:53 2003
From: "nospam@nospam.invalid" <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:46:44 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c

I couldn't find any such information from your headers, sorry.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
"Stronger, no. More seductive, cunning, crunchier the Dark Side is."

Irrwahn Grausewitz 10-12-2003 06:54 PM

"nospam@nospam.invalid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Hello Mark McIntyre,
>
>On 11-Oct-2003, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> Please don't tell us what
>> it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

>How did you know?

Probably by inspection of the "X-Newsreader:" field in the header, wich
isn't present in your post so I can't answer the next question.

>BTW which newsreader am I using?

Regards
--
Irrwahn
(irrwahn33@freenet.de)

Mark McIntyre 10-12-2003 08:55 PM

Re: [OT]Re: How can I open a file, skip first 2 lines and get the 50th character?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:46:44 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
"nospam@nospam.invalid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Hello Mark McIntyre,
>
>On 11-Oct-2003, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> Please don't tell us what
>> it is, we know already its Outhouse Express 6.

>How did you know?
>BTW which newsreader am I using?

Because the headers said so. But you knew that, or you'd not be busy
munging yours now. Probably XNews or webmail by the way.

--
Mark McIntyre

nospam@nospam.invalid 10-13-2003 08:17 AM

On 13-Oct-2003, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Because the headers said so. But you knew that, or you'd not be busy
> munging yours now. Probably XNews or webmail by the way.

Oh! Don't acuse me of munging my headers :)
All I was trying to say was that you cannot confirm by just seeing the
headers.

Now guess where this post originated.
Answer the X-question ;)