Velocity Reviews

-   -   prints out an unsigned long in decimal (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t315507-prints-out-an-unsigned-long-in-decimal.html)

Matt 09-28-2003 06:25 PM

prints out an unsigned long in decimal

Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.

I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

Joona I Palaste 09-28-2003 06:44 PM

Re: prints out an unsigned long in decimal

Matt <jrefactors@hotmail.com> scribbled the following:
> Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
> that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.

> I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

Hey come on. This problem is really quite easy. I'll leave you with a
skeleton of the solution.

void writeLong(unsigned long l) {
putchar( /* what goes here? */ );
if (l) {
writeLong( /* what goes here? */ );
}
}

I managed to solve the problem in a way similar to the above without
using arrays, or indeed other variables than l, at all. No need for
sprintf, itoa, etc either.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
"Life without ostriches is like coffee with milk."

Ivan Vecerina 09-28-2003 07:05 PM

"Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ba8a039e.0309281025.4079eeab@posting.google.c om...
> Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
> that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.
>
> I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

One idea is to go with something like:
unsigned long exp = 10;
while(exp<val) exp*=10;
while( exp/=10 ) putchar( '0'+(val/exp)%10 );

Bug left in on purpose, and optimizations are possible.

Cheers,
Ivan
--
http://ivan.vecerina.com

Richard Heathfield 09-28-2003 10:08 PM

"Ivan Vecerina" <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote:

> "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ba8a039e.0309281025.4079eeab@posting.google.c om...
>> Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
>> that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.
>>
>> I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

> One idea is to go with something like:
> unsigned long exp = 10;
> while(exp<val) exp*=10;
> while( exp/=10 ) putchar( '0'+(val/exp)%10 );
>
> Bug left in on purpose, and optimizations are possible.

Which bug? I count at least two.

--
Richard Heathfield : binary@eton.powernet.co.uk

Joe Wright 09-28-2003 11:32 PM

Matt wrote:

> Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
> that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.
>
> I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

Because it's an example program on page 64 or K&R2 which uses an array
as temporary storage. The alogrithm to convert binary to 'decimal'
generates digits, least significant first. Then the array is reversed
(another example of how to reverse a string). They don't want you to
copy the example from the book.

You can do it without an array. Think recursion. Good luck.
--
Joe Wright mailto:joewwright@earthlink.net
--- Albert Einstein ---

Ivan Vecerina 09-29-2003 05:01 AM

"Richard Heathfield" <dontmail@address.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "Ivan Vecerina" <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote:
>
> > "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:ba8a039e.0309281025.4079eeab@posting.google.c om...
> >> Given only putchar (no sprintf, itoa, etc.) write a routine putlong
> >> that prints out an unsigned long in decimal. No array allowed.
> >>
> >> I have no idea if we can't use array to solve the problem.

> > One idea is to go with something like:
> > unsigned long exp = 10;
> > while(exp<val) exp*=10;
> > while( exp/=10 ) putchar( '0'+(val/exp)%10 );
> >
> > Bug left in on purpose, and optimizations are possible.

> Which bug? I count at least two.

shush! ;) Is a portability problem included in your count?

Regards,
Ivan
--
http://ivan.vecerina.com

Richard Heathfield 09-29-2003 06:02 AM

Re: prints out an unsigned long in decimal

"Ivan Vecerina" <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote:

> "Richard Heathfield" <dontmail@address.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Ivan Vecerina" <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote:
>>
>> > "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:ba8a039e.0309281025.4079eeab@posting.google.c om...

>> > One idea is to go with something like:
>> > unsigned long exp = 10;
>> > while(exp<val) exp*=10;
>> > while( exp/=10 ) putchar( '0'+(val/exp)%10 );
>> >
>> > Bug left in on purpose, and optimizations are possible.

>> Which bug? I count at least two.

> shush! ;) Is a portability problem included in your count?

Well, the first is that it basically gives the wrong answer sometimes. The
second is a namespace issue.

--
Richard Heathfield : binary@eton.powernet.co.uk

Ivan Vecerina 09-29-2003 07:44 AM

| "Ivan Vecerina" <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote:
| > "Richard Heathfield" <dontmail@address.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

| >> Which bug? I count at least two.
| >
| > shush! ;) Is a portability problem included in your count?

Hi Richard,

| Well, the first is that it basically gives the wrong answer sometimes.
Yes - a classic bounds problem I left for Matt to eventually find.

| The second is a namespace issue.
I am not sure what you mean by this. I assume you refer
to C name spaces, and not C++ namespace-s.
A conflict with the exp() function if using <math.h> ?

What I though of as a portability problem was the '0'+....
It could be replaced with "0123456789"[...],
or ...["0123456789"] ;)

Also, note that the code I posted in this thread is not
a recommendation, just a hint at a possible approach.

Regards,
Ivan

--
http://ivan.vecerina.com

Martijn 09-29-2003 09:51 AM

Ivan Vecerina wrote:
>> The second is a namespace issue.

> I am not sure what you mean by this. I assume you refer
> to C name spaces, and not C++ namespace-s.
> A conflict with the exp() function if using <math.h> ?

That, plus val not being declared... :)

--
Martijn
http://www.sereneconcepts.nl

pete 09-29-2003 10:38 AM

Ivan Vecerina wrote:

> A conflict with the exp() function if using <math.h> ?

How about regardless of whether or not using <math.h> ?

--
pete