Velocity Reviews

-   -   Semantics part in C standard (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t314751-semantics-part-in-c-standard.html)

maxw_cc 08-14-2003 05:32 AM

Semantics part in C standard

Hi to all of you,

I was wondering what the Semantics part
in C standard is really for? What should
be on the constraints part and what should
be on the semantics part?
Is the implementation obligued to produce
diagnostics only if I violate something in
the constraints part?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Max

Douglas A. Gwyn 08-14-2003 06:16 AM

Re: Semantics part in C standard

maxw_cc wrote:
> I was wondering what the Semantics part
> in C standard is really for?

To specify semantics for the various operations.

> What should
> be on the constraints part and what should
> be on the semantics part?

What is there, should be there.

> Is the implementation obligued to produce
> diagnostics only if I violate something in
> the constraints part?

A violation of syntax or constraints requires a
diagnostic, if the implementation is to conform
to the standard.

Dan Pop 08-14-2003 09:23 AM

In <c279f81f.0308132132.530e536f@posting.google.com > maxw_cc@yahoo.com (maxw_cc) writes:

>I was wondering what the Semantics part
>in C standard is really for? What should
>be on the constraints part and what should
>be on the semantics part?

The constraints part, together with the syntax part, describe the correct
form of each programming construct supported by the C language.

The semantics part describes the meaning of each programming construct
whose correct form was specified by the syntax and constraints part.

>Is the implementation obligued to produce
>diagnostics only if I violate something in
>the constraints part?

Or the syntax part. A program can't violate the semantics part, only the
implementation can (in which case, it is non-conforming).

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group