Velocity Reviews

-   -   checksum in the end of the file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t314100-checksum-in-the-end-of-the-file.html)

pradeep 07-09-2003 10:37 AM

checksum in the end of the file

I have 2 data files,
DATA1 and DATA2 , both same.
My task is to:
Open DATA1, compute the checksum and put it in the end of the
file(don't bother about boundary conditions).close DATA1

Open DATA2,compute the checksum and put it in the end(don't bother
about boundary conditions).close DATA2.

Now again open DATA1, compute the checksum of the file(leaving the
checksum value stored in the end) and then compare it with checksum
stored in the end.Return TRUE or FALSE as the case may be.

Same for DATA2 in case check for DATA1 fails.

Here is my program but I am not getting proper results..
Any help would be appreciated.
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
int main()
{
FILE *fp;

unsigned int p = 0;
unsigned int i = 0;
char ch;
unsigned int size;
fp=fopen("/users/pradeepb/c_progs/DATA1","r+");
if(fp == NULL) {
printf("file not exist\n");
exit(1);
}
while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
p+=ch;
}
fseek(fp,0L,SEEK_END);
fwrite(&p,sizeof(unsigned int),1,fp);
fclose(fp);
p=0;
fp=fopen("/users/pradeepb/c_progs/DATA2","r+");
if(fp == NULL) {
printf("file not exist\n");
exit(1);
}
while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
p+=ch;
}
fseek(fp,0L,SEEK_END);
fwrite(&p,sizeof(unsigned int),1,fp);
fclose(fp);

fp=fopen("/users/pradeepb/c_progs/DATA1","r");

p=0;
if(fp == NULL)
exit(1);

while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
p+=ch;
}

fseek(fp,0L,SEEK_END);
size = ftell(fp);
fseek(fp,size-sizeof(unsigned),SEEK_SET);

i=0;
while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
i+=ch;
}

printf(" %d %d",p,i);
if(p-i == i)
printf("correct checksum of original file yahoo!!\n");
fclose(fp);
fp=fopen("/users/pradeepb/c_progs/DATA2","r");
p=0;
i=0;
if(fp == NULL)
exit(1);
while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
p+=ch;
}
fseek(fp,0L,SEEK_END);
size = ftell(fp);
fseek(fp,size-sizeof(unsigned),SEEK_SET);
while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
i+=ch;
}
printf(" %d %d",p,i);

if(p-i == i)
printf("correct checksum of checksum file yahoo!!\n");

return 0;
}

Luiz Capitulino 07-09-2003 02:34 PM

Re: checksum in the end of the file

bansalpradeep_2000@yahoo.com (pradeep) wrote in message news:<cee26cb4.0307090237.68945191@posting.google. com>...

> Now again open DATA1, compute the checksum of the file(leaving the
> checksum value stored in the end) and then compare it with checksum
> stored in the end.Return TRUE or FALSE as the case may be.

I think the problem is it. Try to store the original checksum in the
memory, remove it from the file, and so do the new checksum.

The first checksum was made with the original file, the second not.

-- Luiz Capitulino

Eric Bernard 07-09-2003 05:03 PM

> [...]

> }
>
> printf(" %d %d",p,i);
> if(p-i == i)
> printf("correct checksum of original file yahoo!!\n");
> fclose(fp);
> fp=fopen("/users/pradeepb/c_progs/DATA2","r");
> p=0;
> i=0;
> if(fp == NULL)
> exit(1);
> while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
> p+=ch;
> }
> fseek(fp,0L,SEEK_END);
> size = ftell(fp);
> fseek(fp,size-sizeof(unsigned),SEEK_SET);
> while((ch=getc(fp)) != EOF) {
> i+=ch;
> }
> printf(" %d %d",p,i);
>
> if(p-i == i)
> printf("correct checksum of checksum file yahoo!!\n");

I see many problems in that piece of code.

Firstly, you are using a char type with getc, which returns int (yes,
it matters). Also, "char ch" is signed, which means that if the file
has a byte with a value of 128 to 255, ch will be negative thus p +=
ch; decrements p.

Secondly, the checksum you store in the end is based on 2 or four
bytes in integer representation. When you read it back, you still add
up its bytes but that's not the same thing as reading it as an actual
integer. For example, if the checksum was 256, or 0x00000100, your
computation would give 1 instead of 256 when you read it back.

That's all I bothered to read for now, but I'm sure it will help.

Kind regards

Eric Bernard.