Velocity Reviews

-   -   standard question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t314024-standard-question.html)

Justin Hibbits 07-06-2003 03:15 AM

standard question

Hi,

I'm working on a C compiler, and I've got a quick question about the way types
are defined.

The ANSI standard shows types as being defined right-recursively, instead of
left-recursive (as shown in yacc grammar). why was that chosen, instead of the
left-recursive grammar?

Thanks

-Justin Hibbits

--
Registered Linux user 260206

"One World, One Web, One Program"
- Microsoft Promo Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer"
- Adolf Hitler

I'm not paranoid. They really *are* out to get me!

Jack Klein 07-06-2003 06:03 AM

Re: standard question

On 6 Jul 2003 03:15:11 GMT, Justin Hibbits <jrh29@po.cwru.edu> wrote
in comp.lang.c:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a C compiler, and I've got a quick question about the way types
> are defined.
>
> The ANSI standard shows types as being defined right-recursively, instead of
> left-recursive (as shown in yacc grammar). why was that chosen, instead of the
> left-recursive grammar?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Justin Hibbits

This group discusses the C language as it is, not why it was defined
the way it is. The group for that is news:comp.std.c. You might also
want to check out news:comp.compilers.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com