Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t313985-re-output-without-stdio-h-or-iostream.html)

Lew Pitcher 07-03-2003 03:08 PM

Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream

On 3 Jul 2003 07:52:30 -0700, gabriel_flemming@t-online.de (Gabriel Flemming)
wrote:

>i heard it wouldn't be possible to build a function that sends output
>(maybe a text string) to the console without using the C/C++
>standard-functions from the standard library (puts,printf or
>whatever)...
>
>is this correct?

Yes. But, as it is implementation dependant, it isn't discussed here.

>or is there any possibility of writing such a function WITHOUT the
>usage of any function from the standard library?

Yes again.

>to me, it doesn't make sense, that it could be impossible to do this,
>because every of the standard functions has to be implemented in the
>compiler

Nonsense. The standard functions have to accompany the compiler; the compiler
doesn't have to implement them in the same manner that it implements a switch()
or if() statement. I/O functions are /not necessarily/ intrinsic to the compiler
(unlike COBOL or Fortran, where the I/O facilities are parsable language
elements, and not callable functions).

> (AND THEREFORE THERE HAS TO EXIST THE NEEDED CODE, HASN'T
>IT???).

write(int, const void *, size_t);

void my_output_routine(char *string)
{
size_t length;

for (length = 0; *(string+length); ++length);
write(1,string,length);
}

writes the given string to stdout (in Unix or Linux, given a unix compatable
runtime library).

--
Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions