Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t313778-pointers-to-data-structures-in-c.html)

DSKR 06-24-2003 03:22 PM

Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

Please,can anyone help me by providing the 'best sources' on Internet
related to 'Advanced C' concepts like ADTs, Linked Lists,Queues,Stacks,Trees
etc?Thanks in Advance.
Regards
DSKR

dbtid 06-24-2003 07:55 PM

[OT] Re: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:32:58 GMT, Tom St Denis <tomstdenis@iahu.ca> wrote:

> DSKR wrote:
>> Please,can anyone help me by providing the 'best sources' on Internet
>> related to 'Advanced C' concepts like ADTs, Linked
>> Lists,Queues,Stacks,Trees
>> etc?Thanks in Advance.
>> Regards
>> DSKR

> Dear DSKR,
>
> Why not try google?
>
> Sincerely,
> Capt. Obvious.
>
> Tom

Now **THAT'S** what I would call "snippy."

E. Robert Tisdale 06-24-2003 08:16 PM

Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

Tom St Denis wrote:

> DSKR wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me by providing the 'best sources' on Internet
>> related to 'Advanced C' concepts
>> like ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues, Stacks, Trees, etc.?

> Why not try google?

These are *not* "Advanced C concepts".

I used Google

http://www.google.com/

to search for

"Data Structures and Algorithms in C"

and found lots of stuff.

DSKR 06-25-2003 08:24 AM

Re: Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

Thanks Robert for 'understanding' the post.I did a lot of search before
posting to this group, but all I could find,as you said,was course syllabi.

btw...all group members...no netizen today, needs introduction to google.If
you are not willing to help, don't bother replying posts.

and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues, Stacks,
Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C" along with Memory/Buffer
manipulation, Advanced pointer concepts, System call interface/Portability
Programming, Bit Field Manipulation etc.Do you know anything 'more'?

"osmium" <r124c4u102@attbi.com> wrote in message
> E. Robert Tisdale writes:
>
> > Tom St Denis wrote:

> > > Why not try google?

> > These are *not* "Advanced C concepts".
> >
> > I used Google
> >
> > http://www.google.com/
> >
> > to search for
> >
> > "Data Structures and Algorithms in C"
> >
> > and found lots of stuff.

> So did I, mostly course syllabi. Maybe he wants to know something more
> than the fact that there are courses that teach this subject?? There is

no
> particular reason to think he doesn't know about schools and stuff. His
> mentioning "best sources" leads me to think that he thinks that someone
> else might have had a similar problem in the past. And they have found

some
> good sites. Or *a* good site.
>
> To the OP. I suggest a *book*. Algorithms plus data structures equals
> programs_ by Wirth is good. It is not in C, it is in Pascal which is

close
> enough to pseudocode to be an acceptable alternative. Books on this

subject

Joona I Palaste 06-25-2003 09:43 AM

Re: Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

DSKR <devineni_ram@myrealbox.com> scribbled the following:
> and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
> programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues, Stacks,
> Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C" along with Memory/Buffer
> manipulation, Advanced pointer concepts, System call interface/Portability
> Programming, Bit Field Manipulation etc.Do you know anything 'more'?

Tom St.Denis has a bad reputation here on comp.lang.c, and for good
reason, I might say. He keeps insisting off-topic posts are on-topic,
because they deal with OS-specific extensions to C. And his grasp of
even some aspects of standard C is a bit shoddy. I would suggest you
take anything he says with a grain of salt.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
"The trouble with the French is they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

Arthur J. O'Dwyer 06-25-2003 01:58 PM

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Joona I Palaste wrote:

> DSKR <devineni_ram@myrealbox.com> scribbled the following:
> > and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
> > programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues, Stacks,
> > Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C" along with Memory/Buffer
> > manipulation, Advanced pointer concepts, System call interface/Portability
> > Programming, Bit Field Manipulation etc.Do you know anything 'more'?

[^Strangely, my news server doesn't have that message.^]

> Tom St.Denis has a bad reputation here on comp.lang.c, and for good
> reason, I might say. He keeps insisting off-topic posts are on-topic,
> because they deal with OS-specific extensions to C. And his grasp of
> even some aspects of standard C is a bit shoddy. I would suggest you
> take anything he says with a grain of salt.

I have little to no experience with Tom's posting habits, but I can tell
you that he was dead on target *this* time. ADTs are not C-specific.
Lists, queues, stacks, and trees are not C-specific. Memory management,
pointers, system calls, and bitwise ops do have C-specific
interpretations, but you'll note that the OP didn't ask about those.

Questions about data structures should be directed to comp.programming.

Questions about where to find things on the Internet should be directed
to http://www.google.com.

Questions involving questions about C code should be directed to
comp.lang.c or alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++, but the OP didn't ask for
help with his C code - he asked where to find information on the Internet
about data structures.

-Arthur

dbtid 06-25-2003 03:22 PM

Re: Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

On 25 Jun 2003 09:43:05 GMT, Joona I Palaste <palaste@cc.helsinki.fi>
wrote:

[snip]

> Tom St.Denis has a bad reputation here on comp.lang.c, and for good
> reason, I might say. He keeps insisting off-topic posts are on-topic,
> because they deal with OS-specific extensions to C. And his grasp of
> even some aspects of standard C is a bit shoddy. I would suggest you
> take anything he says with a grain of salt.

I recently went to the local feed store and got a block of the salt
that one puts out in the fields in the winter for deer.

That almost helps.

goose 06-26-2003 07:33 AM

Re: Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

"DSKR" <devineni_ram@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<3ef95c2a@shknews01>...
<snipped>

> and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
> programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues, Stacks,
> Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C"

by who ? ADTs, linked-lists queues, stacks and trees are *NOT* advanced
C concepts. they are very basic C concepts.

> along with Memory/Buffer
> manipulation,

basic.

> Advanced pointer concepts,

theres that word "advanced" again ... exactly *what* do you
mean by "advanced pointer concepts" ???

there is no "advanced" pointer concepts, with pointers, either
you "get it" or you dont ...

> System call interface/Portability
> Programming,

very basic as well, unless you dont have the docs for the
system calls you want to do :-)

> it Field Manipulation etc

that is *very* basic.

>.Do you know anything 'more'?

i suspect that most C programmers do, wrt to the language anyway.

also, please do not toppost,
thanks :-)

goose,
does this make me "advancedd" or what ?

DSKR 06-26-2003 11:41 AM

"goose" <ruse@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
news:ff82ae1b.0306252333.2dbeefaf@posting.google.c om...
> <snipped>
> > and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
> > programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues,Stacks,
> > Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C"

> by who ? ADTs, linked-lists queues, stacks and trees are *NOT* advanced
> C concepts. they are very basic C concepts.

Hello goose,

may be not by 'unique' persons like you.do a search...'Advanced C' on
google.you will then underand by whom...they are considered 'Advanced C'.I
think your version of 'C Bible'(you know what I am refering to) has every
topic I mentioned.Does it?try to move along with the world.

> > along with Memory/Buffer
> > manipulation,> basic.> Advanced pointer concepts,> theres that word

"advanced" again ... exactly *what* do you
> mean by "advanced pointer concepts" ???> there is no "advanced" pointer

concepts, with pointers, either
> you "get it" or you dont ...> > System call interface/Portability

Programming,
> very basic as well, unless you dont have the docs for the> system calls

you want to do :-)
> > Bit Field Manipulation etc> that is *very* basic.

again I am talking about techniques exploiting the power of these.try to
differentiate a professional & a learner.In any part of the world technology
is taught in 2 modes... 'Introductory' & 'Advanced'.3-4 in many cases.you
are exceptional ofcourse.

> >.Do you know anything 'more'?> i suspect that most C programmers do, wrt

to the language anyway.

I guess you are one of those.Please let us know what more?

> also, please do not toppost, thanks :-)

thanks :-)

> goose,
> does this make me "advancedd" or what ?

I would be very glad to know from you,Mr.goose, what else in the world
,wuold you categorize under 'Advanced C'.I know you are not ready to put
anything under it,because for you everything is 'Basic'...'Very Basic'.funny
:-)

Joona I Palaste 06-26-2003 11:51 AM

Re: Off Topic: Pointers to 'Data Structures' in C

DSKR <devineni_ram@myrealbox.com> scribbled the following:
> "goose" <ruse@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> news:ff82ae1b.0306252333.2dbeefaf@posting.google.c om...
>> <snipped>
>> > and Mr.Tom St Denis, I don't know how experienced you are as a C
>> > programmer,but let me reiterate that "ADTs, Linked Lists, Queues,Stacks,
>> > Trees, etc" are considered "Advanced C"

>> by who ? ADTs, linked-lists queues, stacks and trees are *NOT* advanced
>> C concepts. they are very basic C concepts.

> Hello goose,

> may be not by 'unique' persons like you.do a search...'Advanced C' on
> google.you will then underand by whom...they are considered 'Advanced C'.I
> think your version of 'C Bible'(you know what I am refering to) has every
> topic I mentioned.Does it?try to move along with the world.

>> goose,
>> does this make me "advancedd" or what ?

> I would be very glad to know from you,Mr.goose, what else in the world
> ,wuold you categorize under 'Advanced C'.I know you are not ready to put
> anything under it,because for you everything is 'Basic'...'Very Basic'.funny
> :-)

If you think manipulation of lists, trees, and other ADTs is all there
is to C, you don't know very much about programming. Keep on studying.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
"Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schitzophrenic and so am I."