Velocity Reviews

-   -   laptop hard drive mysteriously full (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t313442-laptop-hard-drive-mysteriously-full.html)

Josh 01-22-2005 11:21 AM

laptop hard drive mysteriously full

Hi

The hard drive on my pal's laptop - capacity 27 gb - is down to about 1 gb
free space and he is getting warnings that his drive is nearing full. I've
looked through his files and folders and there seems to be nothing to
account for this. He has used system restore a lot of times (a bit
recklessly I think), but clearing his restore records hasn't made a
difference. A virus scan has not shown any infection, but his definitions
may not be up to date.

Any ideas or solutions please?

Pepperoni 01-22-2005 12:14 PM

Re: laptop hard drive mysteriously full

If he downloads a lot of binaries using OE, he could have all that porn or
mpegs stored in casche.

The location may vary, but somewhere in tools/options (in Outlook Express)
he will find a cleanup tab. (under maintenance tab on my machine) Running
cleanup will remove all those casched message bodies. There are several
options. Then run compression on the same page to free up the reclaimed
space. The file sizes will be shown--- saves lots of space.

This is a good time to dump the wastebasket and temporary internet files
(tools/internet options).

After these throw out the junk you never use. You can dump all those
bloated IM proggies and use Trillian instead to save space and run them all
from one interface.

Does he save the .exe files after he loads them? Throw them out ( except
paid programs; upload THEM to safe storage)

Under system tools, run disk cleanup and then defragmenter.

You should then have lots of new space. It will fill up again if you don't
cleanup from time to time.

Pepperoni