Velocity Reviews

-   -   leave the computer on or off? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t313181-leave-the-computer-on-or-off.html)

milo 01-08-2005 10:42 AM

leave the computer on or off?

just wondering if u should turn your computer off at night or leave it
on , also with the monitor ?

milo
___

Paul Cooke 01-08-2005 03:55 PM

Re: leave the computer on or off?

steve wrote:

> So on the┬*┬*one┬*hand┬*you┬*call┬*people┬*tight┬*for┬*maximising┬*the┬*life┬*or┬*their
> hardware, surely those that upgrade in order to run CSS OSs and handle
> virus scanning have more contempt for the environment than someone running
> an OS on a PIII.
>
> Why does a home user need a 3Gig P4 for email/surfing/porn?

1.4 GHz P4... no wasted cycles running virus scanners or having to stop
every now and then the check for spyware and trojans or reboot for
"essential" updates to fix holes that shouldn't have been open in the first
place...

15:52:38 up 184 days, 3:41, 5 users, load average: 0.05, 0.01, 0.00

it just goes on day after day, night after night, serving files, streaming
audio and video to the rest of the home network... and I use it as a normal
desktop machine whenever I'm in that room...

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 01-08-2005 05:16 PM

milo wrote:

> just wondering if u should turn your computer off at night or leave it
> on , also with the monitor ?
>

> milo
> ___

It depends if you want it to do anything overnight. If it's not doing
anything, leave it turned off, if you like. Definately turn off the
monitor if you aren't using it, it uses a lot of power.

--

There is nothing wrong with your news reader.
Do not attempt to adjust your settings.

Please stand by.
http://www.weyounsworld.info/downloads/sounds/ol.mp3

Thor 01-08-2005 05:34 PM

"Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <weyounthedancingborg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> milo wrote:
>
>> just wondering if u should turn your computer off at night or leave it
>> on , also with the monitor ?
>>

>> milo
>> ___
>>

> It depends if you want it to do anything overnight. If it's not doing
> anything, leave it turned off, if you like. Definately turn off the
> monitor if you aren't using it, it uses a lot of power.

not if you have an LCD. LOL!

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 01-08-2005 06:13 PM

Thor wrote:

> "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <weyounthedancingborg@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>milo wrote:
>>

>>>just wondering if u should turn your computer off at night or leave it
>>>on , also with the monitor ?
>>>

>>>milo
>>>___
>>>

>>It depends if you want it to do anything overnight. If it's not doing
>>anything, leave it turned off, if you like. Definately turn off the
>>monitor if you aren't using it, it uses a lot of power.

> not if you have an LCD. LOL!

touchÚ :)

dennis 01-08-2005 09:18 PM

"milo" <mrmiloman2003@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> just wondering if u should turn your computer off at night or leave it
> on , also with the monitor ?
>

> milo
> ___

If computers were 2000 years old that'd be a 2000 year question! Seriously,
it all depends on how you use your system. If you jump on it every several
hours I'd probably leave it on. If you get in front of it every other day
then I'd probably turn it off between uses.

I leave the one's I have here at home on at all times. 'Bout the only time
I turn them off is when there is an infrequent storm where the power may
flucutate. Then I not only turn them off but also unplug them from the
wall. Just insurance incase the surge protectors don't do their jobs.

I 've been heavily involved with pc's since the mid 80's and started up my
own support business 10 years ago. I support a considerable number of
seniors at a retirement community. Many of these people are on fixed
incomes, use dial-up and have a single phoneline. One of the nice things
about turning off a pc (in their case) is that by some odd chance their
modem cannont pick up the phone line disabling the phones in the home. Be
pretty sad if they could not dial an emergency number.

Turning off monitors my personal choice is that if you turn off the system
you turn off the monitor. If the system is left on you can go into your
power settings from control panel and adjust the way you like.

just my 02 worth
dennis

relic 01-08-2005 11:25 PM

Re: leave the computer on or off?

General Protection Fault wrote:
["Followup-To:" reset.]

> Conserving power shouldn't just be done to save money... it also saves
> on pollution and envionmental damage.

If the world is uninhabitable 50 years from now, so what.

--
I must admit, you brought Religion into my life.
I never believed in Hell until I met you.

General Protection Fault 01-09-2005 01:15 AM

Re: leave the computer on or off?

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:25:44 GMT, relic wrote:
> General Protection Fault wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" reset.]
>>
>> Conserving power shouldn't just be done to save money... it also saves
>> on pollution and envionmental damage.

> If the world is uninhabitable 50 years from now, so what.

Who says it will be? Who can image what kind of developments there
will be in 50 years. Any kind of time we can buy is helpful.

--
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
7:10PM up 47 days, 32 mins, 0 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Knotweed Streptosporangiaceae 01-09-2005 11:21 AM

Kevin Long wrote:
> Your a ****ing dick.

Yaw me steady, eddy.

w_tom 01-09-2005 05:37 PM

Re: leave the computer on or off?

Major problem with so many responses. If correct, then also
leave your TV and radios powered constantly. Yes, power
cycling is destructive. And then we apply numbers. The
difference is night and day. If they don't provide numbers,
assume the worst from that response. Your question, answered
with numbers, was in "on or off" in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics on 1 Dec 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/5th9d