Velocity Reviews

-   -   HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after NIS 2005 LiveUpdate (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t313177-help-send-receive-e-mail-problem-after-nis-2005-liveupdate.html)

Mark Williams 01-07-2005 09:44 PM

HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after NIS 2005 LiveUpdate

Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything worked
great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on Wednesday, I can
no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP and use Outlook 2002
for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access is needed to ports 465
and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet Security Programs Control with
'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple' for Category. I have also tried
'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall, I am able to download and send
e-mail. The error I am getting is ""Sending and Receiving' reported error
(0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the
receiving (POP) server"

Please help!

Thor 01-07-2005 09:53 PM

Re: HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after NIS 2005 LiveUpdate

"Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
> Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything worked
> great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on Wednesday, I
> can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP and use Outlook
> 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access is needed to ports
> 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet Security Programs Control
> with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple' for Category. I have also
> tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall, I am able to download and
> send e-mail.

then clearly the problem is the firewall blocking your email application or
the ports that it uses regardless of the setting you have chosen. Try
uninstalling Norton Internet Security and then re-install it, going through
the program access validation routine again to have NIS re-learn which
programs are allowed access.

Mark Williams 01-08-2005 05:27 AM

"Thor" <man@arms.com> wrote in message

> "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
>> Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything
>> worked great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on
>> Wednesday, I can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP
>> and use Outlook 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access
>> is needed to ports 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet
>> Security Programs Control with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple'
>> for Category. I have also tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall,
>> I am able to download and send e-mail.

> then clearly the problem is the firewall blocking your email application
> or the ports that it uses regardless of the setting you have chosen. Try
> uninstalling Norton Internet Security and then re-install it, going
> through the program access validation routine again to have NIS re-learn
> which programs are allowed access.

You were correct. I tried everything to not have to uninstall and
re-install, but to no avail. I then reluctantly did it, went through 33 MG
of Live Updates and am now up and running. I did find one workaround of
making the IP a trusted site, but did not really want the security hole. I
heard a lot of good things about NIS 2005 and PC Magazine rated it very
high. I have only had it two weeks and boom. In working the issue today,
it also ended up hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple
changes in the various options. It would be interesting if others are
having similar challenges or if this was just a fluke.

Thank you for your help and advice!

Wizard 01-08-2005 01:46 PM

Re: HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after NIS 2005 LiveUpdate

It is the norm. NIS is the most bloated, erratic and crummy piece of
software I have come across in a long time.

Thor 01-08-2005 05:10 PM

"Wizard" <stop.spam@nic.br> wrote in message
> It is the norm. NIS is the most bloated, erratic and crummy piece of
> software I have come across in a long time.

IMHO, he got off easy with just a reinstall. You know as well as I do that
NIS has a tendancy to completely screw up the TCP/IP connectivity of a
machine, and even uninstalling Norton often doesn't help. :-)