Velocity Reviews

-   -   outlook express v6 to v5 mail moving problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312875-outlook-express-v6-to-v5-mail-moving-problem.html)

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk 12-11-2004 06:46 PM

outlook express v6 to v5 mail moving problem

i've got outlook 6 on win xp on one computer and outlook 5 on win98 on
another computer.

I tried copying inbox.dbx and sent items.dbx from outlook 6 and
overwriting the ones in outlook 5. Restarted outlook 5, and it just
created an inbox(1).dbx it didn't read the messages in inbox.dbx

I tried importing messages to OE5 doing an file..import and pointed
it to inbox.dbx, that didn't work.

I tried copying over a load of dbx files, including folders.dbx, but
the copying over of folders.dbx caused an msimn.exe crash, so I deleted
the folder and restarted outlook express.

I gave up exporting messages. So onto exporting account details:

Then I tried exporting the account details
tools..account..export/import (to save the time of typing them in). I
exported them from OE6 and tried to import them to OE5. OE5 claimed to
have imported them successfully, but clearly didn't. (nothing was
listed under accounts).

I could read the dbx files with one of those OE save your email dbx
reading programs, but I want to read them in outlook express.
and of course I could type in the account details instead of importing
them.

So, judging by the above, I think I've followed
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/simple.htm
so i can't see why it hasn't worked for me

thanks in advance.

winkle 12-13-2004 11:36 PM

Re: outlook express v6 to v5 mail moving problem

copy over the whole folder that the old inbox is in, when you open up the
new xp outlook, goto options and maintainence, change the "store folder" to
the copied folder, ? then it gets all your messages etc, at least that's how
i backup emails from outlook. just retype the account details.

buggered if i know.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk 12-14-2004 05:03 PM

winkle wrote:
> copy over the whole folder that the old inbox is in, when you open up

the
> new xp outlook, goto options and maintainence, change the "store

folder" to
> the copied folder, ? then it gets all your messages etc, at least

that's how
> i backup emails from outlook. just retype the account details.
>
> buggered if i know.

yeah, i tried that. I tried both overwriting the dbx files with the
backup, that failed. then i tried putting them in another folder and
redirecting outlook to that 'store folder'. no luck. It just sees
inbox.dbx, ignores it and creates an inbox(1).dbx