Velocity Reviews

-   -   3.50 Switched Self To 5.25 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312742-3-50-switched-self-to-5-25-a.html)

Help Wanted 11-27-2004 04:24 PM

3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Hello,
HISTORY:
When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
I take it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes
up.
Send computer to Rita; she "fixes" it.
Computer back home: i click on a large image and computer freezes up.
Send computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing wrong
with it.
Computer back home: i fire up computer; the little green
light on the front comes on but that is all it will do.
Send computer back to Rita, who says power supply is
fried.
Rita says there is something wrong with my wall socket
where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years, and
that i should try the computer in a different room.
Computer back home: Now set up in a different room something new has happened
as the floppy is now saying Outlook Express isnot responding. It never did
that before.

I found the file was calling my 3.50 floppy a
5.25, while the desktop shortcut was still
calling it the proper 3.50. Clicking on it
either in the file, desktop etc. sometimes
freezes up computer, and sometimes sends
pop-up message, and sometimes doesnot
freeze up computer, and sometimes doesnot
send a pop-up saying different things such as
the “floppy drive blah blah”.

Comp USA: about $150.00
Rita: $40.00
Rita:$70.00

I work with huge images:
I had computer upgraded less
than 3 years ago with a new
motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then
something happened (i forget what) and had
Windows re-installed . I only want to use the
computer for peripherals, because of
space/table top limitations.
I need this Windows because of art programs
i have gotten use to.

COMPUTER:
Microsoft Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222A
Authentic AMD
AMD Atholon(tm) Processor
640.0 RAM
Original Configuration
Sytem Rssources 83% free
Virtual Memory 32-bit
No PC card
Images Hardware Accelerator on "FULL";
"File" also on "FULL" .
1000 MH 100x10 0

We already know the computer is
calling my 3.50 a 5.25, and that happened
after coming back from the repair shop,
where i have fried 2 power supply boxes in a
row, and have had replaced. The question is:
since the floppy drive is freezing up all the
time, and un-formatting floppies, why isnot it
freezing up on the boot floppy. There is
nothing wrong with the floppies, as i am
testing them out on two other computers.
There is nothing wrong with the drive since it
was able to run the boot floppy. There is
nothing wrong with the wiring, because it can
run the boot floppy, so what is it . . . I have
done the dos thingy, and that didnot work. It
just said something like "floppy drive fail"
and froze right there in dos, until i was able
to get back in and put it back to "none" where
i had changed it to 3.50.

dan 11-27-2004 05:36 PM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Get a new floppy drive, bot that you really need one.

Help Wanted 11-28-2004 01:47 PM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Hello, Dan,
Thank you for your input and
please go suck an egg . . .

dan 11-28-2004 08:27 PM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

What???!!! I said that you can get a new one, which costs around $6, or
maybe you don't need one. How did that offend you?

Help Wanted 11-28-2004 11:46 PM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Hello,
The floppy works. I need to know how it changed
to a 5.25, and how do i put it back to the
proper 3.50, so that it will work on
something besides the boot floppy.

dan 11-29-2004 01:45 AM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Why would I want to help you now. PEOPLE, DO NTO HELP HIM, HE WAS RUDE AND
UNPOLITE. You shouldn't jump to calling people names after they are polite.

James Hanley 11-29-2004 03:04 AM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

"dan" <ToBeAnonymous@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<uW2qd.154009$HA.90442@attbi_s01>...
> Get a new floppy drive, bot that you really need one.
> "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello,
> > HISTORY:

<snip>

dan's right. TRanslate 'buy a new floppy drive' to Try a new floppy
drive.
Take one out of another computer and try it.

You think that the floppy drive works because a boot disk works in it.
Fact is, if you ever got a floppy drive failure message then it's not
ok. I bet the boot disk didn't work that time.
You probably have a bad floppy connector, floppy cable or floppy
drive. You have to try putting in a new floppy drive. that is how you
diagnose.
Keep restarting your computer, you may find you get a few floppy
failure messages where the comp doesn't start, it is likely that you
have a bad floppy connector - that's a mobo problem.

I'd like to know if there's an adaptor to connect a floppy drive to a
normal IDE connector. That's a nice way you could test if it is your
floppy connector that is wrong. OTherwise just try another floppy
drive in there.

Wizard 12-02-2004 06:28 PM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Nothing polite about you. You've been a pain in the nuts since you
arrived!

dan 12-04-2004 02:10 AM

Re: 3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

What do you mean I have been a pain? I've helped people and asked some
questions. You sent a fake spam report against me because I responded to
spam telling them to stop. I think you're just to nitpicky. But how have I
been a pain in the "nuts"?