Velocity Reviews

-   -   Quick Launch (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312645-quick-launch.html)

David 11-17-2004 01:35 PM

Quick Launch

How do I get my quick launch to hold the return to desktop icon.
It was there and has disappeared.
I'm running XP2.

David Mason

frank ashton 11-18-2004 10:20 AM

Re: Quick Launch

right click start icon , properties, taskbar,click on quick launch. then
right click on taskbar , drag slider to left to get icons in to view then
click on lock task bar . if you want more icons for quick launch just drag &
drop them on to the bar

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 11-19-2004 10:24 AM

Re: Quick Launch

frank ashton wrote:

> right click start icon , properties

There is not a "properties" selection ifyou right click on the start "icon".

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 11-19-2004 10:26 AM

Re: Quick Launch

David wrote:

> How do I get my quick launch to hold the return to desktop icon.
> It was there and has disappeared.
> I'm running XP2.
>

> David Mason

I have had this problem before.

To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar, follow
these steps:

1. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file with the
following lines:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

2. Save the new file as a file named Show Desktop.scf in the
Windows\System or Winnt\System32 folder. Note that Notepad may
automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this
extension if Notepad adds it. These steps do not work if the file is
named Show Desktop.scf.txt.

3. Quit Notepad.

4. Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop
..scf file, and then click Create Shortcut.

5. Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Microsoft Windows
95 or Windows 98, copy the shortcut to this folder:
Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
In Microsoft Windows NT or Microsoft Windows 2000, copy the shortcut to
this folder:
Winnt\System32
In Microsoft Windows XP, copy the shortcut to the following folder:
WINDOWS\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Application
Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

6. Rename the shortcut to Desktop.
The Show Desktop icon automatically appears on the Quick Launch toolbar.
APPLIES TO
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.01
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.01
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.2
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.01
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 1.0

frank ashton 11-19-2004 12:08 PM

Re: Quick Launch

there is in my 4 machines with xp pro

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 11-19-2004 09:32 PM

Re: Quick Launch

frank ashton wrote:

> there is in my 4 machines with xp pro

and there is on mine too! It's my - I've been fiddling with the registry
and the damn properties selection vanished entirely. Rest assured, I did
actually check before posting, and at the time, there wasn't one :)

My fault entirely.

Moral of the story - Don't play with the Registry!

(that, and don't listen to weyoun)