Velocity Reviews

-   -   resetting S.M.A.R.T. messages? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312450-resetting-s-m-a-r-t-messages.html)

Ab 11-02-2004 08:45 PM

resetting S.M.A.R.T. messages?

I have this Maxtor 53073H4 hard disk (30 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA100). At boot
time, its SMART system gives me the message: Failure may be imminent.
Immidiately backup etc. etc.; press F1 to continue booting. However, the
drive passes the burn-in test of Maxtor's Powermax tool: "This drive is
certified error free". Now how do I get rid of the SMART message? Is
there a way to reset the SMART status of the drive?
Disabling SMART monitoring in the (Asus TUSL2-C) mobo BIOS or switching
off SMART with the MHDD program (http://mhddsoftware.com) have the same
effect: the drive stops collecting SMART data, but since the SMART alarm
status is already set, I still get the message at boot time and have to
press F1 each time...

Please advise, any help will be appreciated.

derek / nul 11-02-2004 09:26 PM

Re: resetting S.M.A.R.T. messages?

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:45:39 +0100, "Ab" <Ab@mazel.geenspamgraag.demon.nl.nl>
wrote:

>I have this Maxtor 53073H4 hard disk (30 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA100). At boot
>time, its SMART system gives me the message: Failure may be imminent.
>Immidiately backup etc. etc.; press F1 to continue booting. However, the
>drive passes the burn-in test of Maxtor's Powermax tool: "This drive is
>certified error free". Now how do I get rid of the SMART message? Is
>there a way to reset the SMART status of the drive?
>Disabling SMART monitoring in the (Asus TUSL2-C) mobo BIOS or switching
>off SMART with the MHDD program (http://mhddsoftware.com) have the same
>effect: the drive stops collecting SMART data, but since the SMART alarm
>status is already set, I still get the message at boot time and have to
>press F1 each time...

The message is there because of the bios, check there.

Ab 11-03-2004 06:43 AM

"derek / nul" <spamtrap@sgrail.org> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:45:39 +0100, "Ab"

<Ab@mazel.geenspamgraag.demon.nl.nl>
> wrote:
>
> >I have this Maxtor 53073H4 hard disk (30 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA100). At

boot
> >time, its SMART system gives me the message: Failure may be imminent.
> >Immidiately backup etc. etc.; press F1 to continue booting. However,

the
> >drive passes the burn-in test of Maxtor's Powermax tool: "This drive

is
> >certified error free". Now how do I get rid of the SMART message? Is
> >there a way to reset the SMART status of the drive?
> >Disabling SMART monitoring in the (Asus TUSL2-C) mobo BIOS or

switching
> >off SMART with the MHDD program (http://mhddsoftware.com) have the

same
> >effect: the drive stops collecting SMART data, but since the SMART

alarm
> >status is already set, I still get the message at boot time and have

> >press F1 each time...

> The message is there because of the bios, check there.

Well, eh, no. The message is there because the disk has its SMART
Failure warning flag set. Swithching Smart Monitoring off in the BIOS
has no effect, as described above...