Velocity Reviews

-   -   music CDRs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312390-music-cdrs.html)

Developwebsites 10-28-2004 02:09 AM

music CDRs

I've burned lots of data cd-rs, but never music.
Is there a difference between music and data cd-rs?

Am I correct that cd players cant read folders? So I cant
have Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zep folders on the music cd?

I have copied from a cd all the songs to the hd.
All files are cda and 1kb each, playable by the Windows Media Player
from the CD _only_ it would appear. How do I play them from the hd?
If the cd-r is 700mb, thats 700k songs on a single cd!(But, thats probably not
the case). What size really are the songs then?

I am using Roxio Easy CDCreator. Should I use track at once, or disc at
once?(I guess I dont need the 2 secs gap)

Thor 10-28-2004 03:46 AM

Re: music CDRs

"Developwebsites" <developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote in message
> I've burned lots of data cd-rs, but never music.
> Is there a difference between music and data cd-rs?

If you are asking in terms of how the discs are burned, yes. The format by
which the data is recorded on the disc is different from a "data" CD. Music
CDs use a format called "redbook" audio.

> Am I correct that cd players cant read folders? So I cant
> have Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zep folders on the music cd?

No. The redbook audio format used by audio CD players does not support
"folders". However, if your CD or DVD player supports MP3 playback, then you
can burn MP3 files to the disc (you would make a "data" CD in that case
because MP3 files are treated as discreet data files, not redbook audio
tracks) , put them into folders, etc, and then the CD player usually has
some way of navigating the folders.

> I have copied from a cd all the songs to the hd.
> All files are cda and 1kb each, playable by the Windows Media Player

You didn't actually copy the data. You copied shortcuts to the tracks on the
drive.

> from the CD _only_ it would appear. How do I play them from the hd?
> If the cd-r is 700mb, thats 700k songs on a single cd!(But, thats probably
> not
> the case). What size really are the songs then?

In their native uncompressed form, the average 3-4 minute song equals
roughly 35-40MB of data. In order to get the data to your harddrive, you
need to either "rip" the data to your drive using a CD ripping program, or
use your CD burning program to create an "image" file of the disc on your
drive, which you can then use top make multiple burned copies, OR, just use
the "copy CD" option in your CD burning software. It will do the rest. If
you convert them to MP3, that can compress them down to 4 or 5 MB each song
(typically with some slight quality loss). In that format, you can store
several hours of music on one disc, but your playback options may be more
limited if you don't have any stand alone CD or DVD players capable of
reading an MP3 file. Most people are stuck only playing those discs on their
computer.

> I am using Roxio Easy CDCreator. Should I use track at once, or disc at
> once?(I guess I dont need the 2 secs gap)

whatever you prefer. Either will work fine in most cases.