Velocity Reviews

-   -   Last Windows with DOS....???? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312303-last-windows-with-dos.html)

sno 10-21-2004 12:01 PM

Last Windows with DOS....????

I am thinking of updating my Win98 to a newer version....
I have a number of DOS programs that I am used to and
still use.....

I was wondering what the last program was that is DOS based...
and allows DOS to be used...??

Understand there is one program.....the last one..???....that
allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
drive....and is an option when you install....

Thank you for any help.....sno

Wizard 10-21-2004 12:35 PM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

All versions of Windoz allow the running of Dos programs. (if that's
what you are talking about)

bmoag 10-21-2004 04:05 PM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

Actually XP cannot run many older DOS programs that directly access
hardware.

Also there are specialty Windows programs crafted for 9x versions that will
not run on XP. Specifically there are a number of specialized commercial
business programs that use data base engines that are incompatible with
WinXP (like the one that runs my business!!!).

HF 10-21-2004 08:45 PM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

Last one was Millenium.

"sno" <sno@opelc.com> wrote in message news:4177A4FD.321E008B@opelc.com...

> I am thinking of updating my Win98 to a newer version....
> I have a number of DOS programs that I am used to and
> still use.....
>
> I was wondering what the last program was that is DOS based...
> and allows DOS to be used...??
>
> Understand there is one program.....the last one..???....that
> allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
> drive....and is an option when you install....
>
> Thank you for any help.....sno

---

Robert Baer 10-22-2004 08:37 AM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

bmoag wrote:

> Actually XP cannot run many older DOS programs that directly access
> hardware.
>
> Also there are specialty Windows programs crafted for 9x versions that will
> not run on XP. Specifically there are a number of specialized commercial
> business programs that use data base engines that are incompatible with
> WinXP (like the one that runs my business!!!).

Please name the database engines that are incompatible; i am very
interested.
Also, if you know of one or two that aer compatible with XP and the
others, please mention them.

Robert Baer 10-22-2004 08:41 AM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

HF wrote:

> Last one was Millenium.
>
> "sno" <sno@opelc.com> wrote in message news:4177A4FD.321E008B@opelc.com...
> >
> > I am thinking of updating my Win98 to a newer version....
> > I have a number of DOS programs that I am used to and
> > still use.....
> >
> > I was wondering what the last program was that is DOS based...
> > and allows DOS to be used...??
> >
> > Understand there is one program.....the last one..???....that
> > allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
> > drive....and is an option when you install....
> >
> > Thank you for any help.....sno

> ---

WinME was after Win2K??
Most, but not all DOS programs will run in Win3.x, Win9x, WinME and
Win2K.
Those that do not work, use direct access to hardware (eg: video, hard
drives, I/O).

derek / nul 10-22-2004 09:17 AM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:41:00 GMT, Robert Baer <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

> WinME was after Win2K??
> Most, but not all DOS programs will run in Win3.x, Win9x, WinME and
>Win2K.
> Those that do not work, use direct access to hardware (eg: video, hard
>drives, I/O).

W2k does not have dos as a base though?

Wizard 10-22-2004 10:31 AM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

Nonsense. There are ways around everyone of those issues. (that assumes
you know what you are doing)

I have been able to make RBase apps and DBase apps run just fine.

Jerry G. 10-22-2004 03:31 PM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

All the Windows versions will run most DOS software's. The exceptions
are the ones that make direct calls to specific hardware functions. Win
XP has immolation settings that can be applied to specific programs
starting from Win 95 and up. Most of the problems are with the gaming
softwares. This is a good reason to keep an older Win 98 machine around
for your entertainment, and running older softwares.

A good P III with 98 on it cannot be beat for some things. For serious
business and general work, a descent P IV with XP is a good choice to
use. There is a vast array of software's for it, and there is a lot of
free support available.

--

Jerry G.
======

Jerry G. 10-22-2004 03:35 PM

Re: Last Windows with DOS....????

Win 2000 is not DOS, but can immolate to run DOS softwares. I do it
often. Some softwares can be tricky to set up, and those that access to
direct hardware calls, may not be able to run.

I found many business softwares, and older DOS applications to run on
Win 2000 and XP. I am running some very old Dbase III DOS applications
on Win 2000 at one location. I am also running the Dbase III programming
software on the same machines. I have also use some very old spread
sheet programs starting from the old Lotus series to run on Win 2000 and
XP.

--

Jerry G.
======