Velocity Reviews

-   -   detecting proxy settings question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t312244-detecting-proxy-settings-question.html)

ROBERT BROOKS 10-15-2004 08:29 PM

detecting proxy settings question

Hi

Ntl have just upgraded my 300k broadband connection to 750k for no extra
charge, albeit for only one month.
However, the speed it takes to enter the home page - in my case Google,
takes at least 3 times longer than before at 300k. Once in the speed is
noticably quicker, but the most significant change is the slowness entering
my home page. The message in the task bar indicates the machine is searching
for "proxy settings" Any clues on how to speed entry. I have a router if
this has anything to do with it.

Rob
Farsley

Duane Arnold 10-16-2004 12:32 AM

Re: detecting proxy settings question

"ROBERT BROOKS" <robert.brook7@ntlworld.com@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Hi
>
> Ntl have just upgraded my 300k broadband connection to 750k for no
> extra charge, albeit for only one month.
> However, the speed it takes to enter the home page - in my case
> Google, takes at least 3 times longer than before at 300k. Once in
> the speed is noticably quicker, but the most significant change is the
> slowness entering my home page. The message in the task bar indicates
> the machine is searching for "proxy settings" Any clues on how to
> speed entry. I have a router if this has anything to do with it.
>
> Rob
> Farsley

You have the browser like IE on its proxy connection settings?

Duane :)

Spajky 10-16-2004 05:40 PM

Re: detecting proxy settings question

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:32:47 GMT, Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com>
wrote:

>> However, the speed it takes to enter the home page - in my case
>> Google, takes at least 3 times longer than before at 300k. Once in
>> the speed is noticably quicker, but the most significant change is the
>> slowness entering my home page. The message in the task bar indicates
>> the machine is searching for "proxy settings"

>You have the browser like IE on its proxy connection settings?

I had A same problem with a friends machine few days ago!!! (did not
find a solution yet) It looks like IE was hijacked even if
SBsearch&destroy & Nod AV did not find anything ... must be a new
hijacker. There are no entries in the registry or sistem ini /win98/
or elswhere to start that **** up, but I saw for a blink some strange
URL in the address window of IE. There are also no proxy setting set
for browser (checked that too). I an also clueless!

Plus there is also a problem described in todays another
thread in this NG also:
Really weird IE problem ... but that my friend has ADSL ... :-(
.... will follow it too! ..
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Duane Arnold 10-16-2004 09:58 PM

Re: detecting proxy settings question

Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:32:47 GMT, Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> However, the speed it takes to enter the home page - in my case
>>> Google, takes at least 3 times longer than before at 300k. Once in
>>> the speed is noticably quicker, but the most significant change is

the
>>> slowness entering my home page. The message in the task bar indicates
>>> the machine is searching for "proxy settings"

>>You have the browser like IE on its proxy connection settings?

> I had A same problem with a friends machine few days ago!!! (did not
> find a solution yet) It looks like IE was hijacked even if
> SBsearch&destroy & Nod AV did not find anything ... must be a new
> hijacker. There are no entries in the registry or sistem ini /win98/
> or elswhere to start that **** up, but I saw for a blink some strange
> URL in the address window of IE. There are also no proxy setting set
> for browser (checked that too). I an also clueless!
>
> Plus there is also a problem described in todays another
> thread in this NG also:
> Really weird IE problem ... but that my friend has ADSL ... :-(
> ... will follow it too! ..

The tools in the link like Active Ports and Process Explorer will help
you track things down that malware detection software can miss. PE allows
one to look inside a running process to see what processes are using a
process.

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

Duane :)

Spajky 10-17-2004 03:14 AM

Re: detecting proxy settings question

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:58:48 GMT, Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com>
wrote:

>>>You have the browser like IE on its proxy connection settings?

>> I had A same problem with a friends machine few days ago!!! (did not
>> find a solution yet) It looks like IE was hijacked

>The tools in the link like Active Ports and Process Explorer will help
>you track things down that malware detection software can miss. PE allows
>one to look inside a running process to see what processes are using a
>process.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/klw1
>
>Duane :)

Thanks Duane, I will check that!
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

ROBERT BROOKS 10-17-2004 05:05 PM

Re: detecting proxy settings question

Today decided to disable my broadband onnection and re-boot the machine.
This worked!!!!!