Velocity Reviews

-   -   Advise on Building a Computer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311752-advise-on-building-a-computer.html)

Matthew 08-31-2004 05:43 PM

Advise on Building a Computer

I'm thinking about building my first computer and I would love some advise.

Do I have to buy Windows XP separate and the install it on my computer or is
there a way I can copy it from my old computer to the one I am building.

I don't want to spend more the $1000. I want to use the computer for gaming
but I'm not a real serious gamer. I just want smooth graphics at decent
resolutions. I already have a NVIDIA 5200FX Ultra card that I plan to put in
the new computer so I don't have to buy that. I'm not going to buy a monitor
or speakers/mouse keyboard etc. I've had problem with getting disconnected
from my dial-up connection on my current computer. Assuming he the problem
is not the phone line, is there something I can do in the new computer to
make sure that this doesn't happen?

Would love comfiguration ideas. (right now thinking 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
HD, 480 Watt power supply)

Matthew.

Captain Ron 08-31-2004 08:24 PM

Re: Advise on Building a Computer

I see absolutly no problem. Have you considered looking at the AMD 64? I ran
these requirements and came up with $610 for an AMD 64 3400 with 1 GB RAM,
SATA 120 GB (I would raid two and make this a 240 GB) and 480 watt power
supply.

I see no easy way to transfer your old OS. You could try to ghost the OS,
just makwe sure your IDE controller is set to a default controller. I would
just reinstall the entire OS and applications. This way the system is truely
"NEW" without the old software hangups.