Velocity Reviews

-   -   Another scam? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311561-another-scam.html)

John Rampling 08-11-2004 09:01 AM

Another scam?

Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
email forwarding facility:

<quote>

Thank you for your order!
***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
NO REPLY WILL BE READ***

INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
Qty. Price. Amount. Description
1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY

Payment Method: ----- Credit card
Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
Ship Via: ----- 2 Day

Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
Discounts: ----- -$56.04
Shipping: ----- $45.00
Tax: ----- $0.00

TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96

Sales Department
At eurojobsear.net

<END of quote>

Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
eurojobsear.net
If it's a scam how does it work>

Robert Baer 08-11-2004 09:42 AM

Re: Another scam?

John Rampling wrote:

> Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
> email forwarding facility:
>
> <quote>
>
> Thank you for your order!
> ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
> NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
>
> INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
> Qty. Price. Amount. Description
> 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
> 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
> 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
>
> Payment Method: ----- Credit card
> Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
> Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
>
> Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
> Discounts: ----- -$56.04
> Shipping: ----- $45.00
> Tax: ----- $0.00
>
> TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
>
> Sales Department
> At eurojobsear.net
>
> <END of quote>
>
> Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
> eurojobsear.net
> If it's a scam how does it work>

Possibilities:
1) someone at "euro jobs ear" screwed up on the e-mail address, so you
got the ersult.
2) someone got your credit card dnmber and ordered stuff and one of the
orders ersulted in that e-mail notice.
VERY *carefully* (and !immediately!) check your credit card statements
for any foul play; call the issueing agency and make a report AND
cancel/stop that card.
Watch each and every monthly statement for abuse; report as above.

J KScot 08-11-2004 12:18 PM

Re: Another scam?

"John Rampling" <j.rampling@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my
> website email forwarding facility:
>
> <quote>
>
> Thank you for your order!
> ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
> NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
>

> Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
> eurojobsear.net
> If it's a scam how does it work>

IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to their
sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that link to
report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web site, an attempt
will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of some kind. If the user
does not have an active anti-virus scanner, then...

jim

Hank Sniadoch 08-11-2004 12:28 PM

Re: Another scam?

How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?

Stuart 08-11-2004 04:38 PM

Re: Another scam?

Hank Sniadoch wrote:

> How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?

If his computer has been compromised and since then he has used his
credit card for online purchases.

Stuart

ric 08-11-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Another scam?

John Rampling wrote:

> Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my website
> email forwarding facility:
>
> <quote>
>
> Thank you for your order!
> ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
> NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
>
> INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
> Qty. Price. Amount. Description
> 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
> 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
> 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
>
> Payment Method: ----- Credit card
> Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
> Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
>
> Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
> Discounts: ----- -$56.04
> Shipping: ----- $45.00
> Tax: ----- $0.00
>
> TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
>
> Sales Department
> At eurojobsear.net
>
> <END of quote>

1. Call your CC company and report the incident. If you don't have online
access to monitor your CC charges, get it.
2. Download, install, and run an anti spyware program (Spybot 1.3 or
Ad-aware.)
3. DO NOT click on any links in the email nor contact that company in any
way.

Nicolas Mitchell 08-11-2004 08:41 PM

Re: Another scam?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:18:58 +0100, J KScot <jkscot@anyisp.sco> wrote:

> IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to
> their
> sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that link to
> report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web site, an
> attempt
> will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of some kind. If the
> user
> does not have an active anti-virus scanner, then...
>
> jim

It does try to do that too.
The link is actually a link to http://eurojobsearch.net/1/index.htm which
loads a chain of bits and bobs and tries to run/download msits.exe which
then tries to do some other stuff with the aim pf hijacking IE search/home
pages. You know the sort of thing.

See
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...JECT.A&VSect=T
which describes similar behaviour.

I looked up eurojobsearch.net and it belongs to:

EuroJob GmBH
Joshua Beckmund (admin@smnetworking.biz)
+49.5419692211
Fax: none
-
Osnabrück, XX 49028
DE

smnetworking.biz addresses have been used for similar attempts in the
past...

THEOLDONE 08-11-2004 10:45 PM

Want to know How...Visit Here..Re: Another scam?

http://home.comcast.net/~omnis1.nospam/privat.htm

Be sure to remove "nospam" B4 initiating site

HTH

Justin 08-12-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Another scam?

"J KScot" <jkscot@anyisp.sco> wrote in

> "John Rampling" <j.rampling@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my
>> website email forwarding facility:
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> Thank you for your order!
>> ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL
>> AND NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
>>

>> Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
>> eurojobsear.net
>> If it's a scam how does it work>
>>

> IRC this type of spam is usually sent as HTML and includes a link to
> their sales department. Some people will instinctively click on that
> link to report that they placed no such order. On reaching the web
> site, an attempt will be made to download a virus or Trojan horse of
> some kind. If the user does not have an active anti-virus scanner,
> then...
>
> jim

It's sickening that this type of crap is condoned as "free speech"!
Spammers need to be put out of commission.

Robert Baer 08-12-2004 06:16 PM

Re: Another scam?

Hank Sniadoch wrote:

> How would they have gotten YOUR credit card number ?
> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > John Rampling wrote:
> > >
> > > Received the following email this morning, redirected to me from my

> website
> > > email forwarding facility:
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > >
> > > Thank you for your order!
> > > ***PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL, THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL AND
> > > NO REPLY WILL BE READ***
> > >
> > > INFINITY-MICRO SALES ORDER ORDER ID: IM 0BSK3
> > > Qty. Price. Amount. Description
> > > 1 $1,489.00 $1,489.00 M505X, GATEWAY M505X , Pent.4
> > > 1.4Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB, 24x DVD/CDRW Combo Dr
> > > 1 $379.00 $379.00 IM-MEMNO1GB, 1GB NOTEBOOKS MEMORY
> > >
> > > Payment Method: ----- Credit card
> > > Order Date ----- 8/9/04 2:05 AM
> > > Ship Via: ----- 2 Day
> > >
> > > Subtotal: ----- $1,868.00
> > > Discounts: ----- -$56.04
> > > Shipping: ----- $45.00
> > > Tax: ----- $0.00
> > >
> > > TOTAL: ----- $1,856.96
> > >
> > > Sales Department
> > > At eurojobsear.net
> > >
> > > <END of quote>
> > >
> > > Needless to say I have not ordered anything and have never heard of
> > > eurojobsear.net
> > > If it's a scam how does it work>
> > >

> > Possibilities:
> > 1) someone at "euro jobs ear" screwed up on the e-mail address, so you
> > got the ersult.
> > 2) someone got your credit card dnmber and ordered stuff and one of the
> > orders ersulted in that e-mail notice.
> > VERY *carefully* (and !immediately!) check your credit card statements
> > for any foul play; call the issueing agency and make a report AND
> > cancel/stop that card.
> > Watch each and every monthly statement for abuse; report as above.

From copies of original or the original itself, home or business
dumpster diving, clueless people (including card holder) passing on card
number to another "for verification", etc.