Velocity Reviews

-   -   What was it? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311511-what-was-it.html)

ric 08-06-2004 07:47 PM

What was it?

Strange occurrence.

I was reading a bio on www.amg.com (using Firefox), when a Windows
type box opened in the center of the screen. Best description of it
would be an animation with books or files being rearranged on a shelf.

The text in this small box read *similar* to "rearranging files to
optimize system speed." I could not close this box or navigate the
site until the box closed itself - about 15 seconds.

Any ideas? I am running Windows 98SE, and have NOT added any software
or hardware recently. A virus scan and a spyware scan were uneventful.

I repeat...any ideas?

Thor 08-06-2004 09:17 PM

Re: What was it?

"ric" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message news:4113E044.E8F9025A@home.com...
> Strange occurrence.
>
> I was reading a bio on www.amg.com (using Firefox), when a Windows
> type box opened in the center of the screen. Best description of it
> would be an animation with books or files being rearranged on a shelf.
>
> The text in this small box read *similar* to "rearranging files to
> optimize system speed." I could not close this box or navigate the
> site until the box closed itself - about 15 seconds.
>
> Any ideas? I am running Windows 98SE, and have NOT added any software
> or hardware recently. A virus scan and a spyware scan were uneventful.

Do you have MS Office installed? Sounds a bit like the MS Office file
optimizer "Walign" but I don't know why it would be running at that
particular point in time.

ric 08-07-2004 04:37 AM

Re: What was it?

Thor wrote:

> > I was reading a bio on www.amg.com (using Firefox), when a Windows
> > type box opened in the center of the screen. Best description of it
> > would be an animation with books or files being rearranged on a shelf.
> >
> > The text in this small box read *similar* to "rearranging files to
> > optimize system speed." I could not close this box or navigate the
> > site until the box closed itself - about 15 seconds.
> >
> > Any ideas? I am running Windows 98SE, and have NOT added any software
> > or hardware recently. A virus scan and a spyware scan were uneventful.

> Do you have MS Office installed? Sounds a bit like the MS Office file
> optimizer "Walign" but I don't know why it would be running at that
> particular point in time.

Yes, I do. But I have had Office installed since 1998 and have never
experienced the above. Strange....