Velocity Reviews

-   -   Missing RAM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311308-missing-ram.html)

Ian Moyce 07-15-2004 09:22 AM

Re: Missing RAM

RedDwarf wrote:
>> My mates PC has been runing slow and I noticed that 64mb of RAM was
>> misssing. He should have 256mb but only showing 192mb. In the BIOS
>> it reads both correctly but on startup when checking the RAM its
>> then 64mb short as is within Windows. We tested the RAM in my PC and
>> it Works fine. We have tried a different Motherboard but still there
>> is 64mb missing. Another friend suggested that the onboard graphics
>> where using the RAM. If this is the case is it normal for the
>> reading to show 64mb short.
>> Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

What graphics card? Onboard? Some onboard graphics cards share system
memory.

Wizard 07-15-2004 11:07 AM

Re: Missing RAM

On board graphics and yes normal.

Wizard 07-15-2004 11:24 AM

Re: Missing RAM

Global_Killa 07-15-2004 11:44 AM

Re: Missing RAM

"RedDwarf" <red.dwarfuk@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> My mates PC has been runing slow and I noticed that 64mb of RAM was
> misssing. He should have 256mb but only showing 192mb. In the BIOS it

reads
> both correctly but on startup when checking the RAM its then 64mb short as
> is within Windows. We tested the RAM in my PC and it Works fine. We have
> tried a different Motherboard but still there is 64mb missing. Another
> friend suggested that the onboard graphics where using the RAM. If this is
> the case is it normal for the reading to show 64mb short.
> Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

On board graphics use the computer RAM instead of their own so Windows will
show a different amount of RAM installed compared to the BIOS because the
graphics are using it.

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

RedDwarf 07-15-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Missing RAM

Cheers Guys.
I should add that the BIOS on startup just after it it shows CPU size shows
the decreased value it only shows the correct reading when going into the
BIOS settings.