Velocity Reviews

-   -   harddrive RMA condition (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311266-harddrive-rma-condition.html)

Shawn 07-10-2004 10:38 PM

harddrive RMA condition

Last night after a reboot, for reasons unclear, one of my harddrives
faield to be recognized by Windows. This is the exact error message:
"E:\ is not accessible. The disc structure is corrupted and unreadable."

The good news is I've been able to recover the data using some software,
and Windows disk management reports the drive to be healthy. However,
I'm worried about the condition and reliability of the drive.

My question is, is this scenario a valid reason to return the drive to
the manufacturer? It's a Seagate 7200.7 200gb ATA drive. Thanks.

Shawn

mark mandel 07-11-2004 12:24 AM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

"Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:40F07043.7A5AE1D0@spam.com...
> Last night after a reboot, for reasons unclear, one of my harddrives
> faield to be recognized by Windows. This is the exact error message:
> "E:\ is not accessible. The disc structure is corrupted and unreadable."
>
> The good news is I've been able to recover the data using some software,
> and Windows disk management reports the drive to be healthy. However,
> I'm worried about the condition and reliability of the drive.
>
> My question is, is this scenario a valid reason to return the drive to
> the manufacturer? It's a Seagate 7200.7 200gb ATA drive. Thanks.
>
> Shawn

Just out of curiosity, in the Device Manager next to IDE Disk Controllers,
is there a yellow question or exclamation mark?

Shawn 07-11-2004 12:51 AM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

mark mandel wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, in the Device Manager next to IDE Disk Controllers,
> is there a yellow question or exclamation mark?

I am not seeing problems with the controller, although I did try to resintall
the Nvidia Nforce drivers last night. As I recall Nforce2 has some kind of 'SW
IDE' drivers. Maybe my attempt to reverse the driver version caused my
problem?

bmoag 07-11-2004 05:29 AM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

You may want to check to see if Seagate has a diagnostic utility on their
web site. Some vendors will not accept a drive for repair/replacement unless
it fails the diagnostic utility.

HF 07-11-2004 12:48 PM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

You should check the Seagate website and you will find your answers there as
well as software
"bmoag" <aetoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ye4Ic.8905$Q53.6896@newssvr25.news.prodigy.co m...
> You may want to check to see if Seagate has a diagnostic utility on their
> web site. Some vendors will not accept a drive for repair/replacement

unless
> it fails the diagnostic utility.

---

Mark Mandell 07-11-2004 05:42 PM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

"HF" <HF@members.v21.co.uk> wrote in message
> You should check the Seagate website and you will find your answers there

as
> well as software

Yep, you just download onto two floppies and your hard drive needn't be a
Seagate either.

Shawn 07-11-2004 09:43 PM

Re: harddrive RMA condition

bmoag wrote:

> You may want to check to see if Seagate has a diagnostic utility on their
> web site. Some vendors will not accept a drive for repair/replacement unless
> it fails the diagnostic utility.

Yes I remembered it and checked my drive with Seagate's SeaTools, but the full
scan didn't come up with an error. I guess I won't really know why the drive
failed.