Velocity Reviews

-   -   Intergrated Sound (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311257-intergrated-sound.html)

Andrew Watiker 07-10-2004 01:47 PM

Intergrated Sound

I recently recieved a new speaker set, Audio Lansing MX5021 2.1. I have
connected this setup to my computers intergrated sound, the sound seems
really good. I am just wondering if any value exists to getting a sound
card. The intergrated sound is Realtec AC97 Audio. If so, how good a card
would I want, I don't need anymore than 2 channels and the suwoofer does not
take a seperate output from the computer. The audio comes out of 1 analog
output.

Computer Specs:

8KNXP Motherboard
Penitum 4 3 (O/C to 3.46)
1 GB DDR PC3200
Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro
Audio Lansing MX5021 speakers

Andrew Watiker, the keeper of service animals 07-10-2004 03:04 PM

Re: Intergrated Sound

Andrew Watiker wrote:
> I recently recieved a new speaker set, Audio Lansing MX5021 2.1. I
> have connected this setup to my computers intergrated sound, the
> sound seems really good. I am just wondering if any value exists to
> getting a sound card. The intergrated sound is Realtec AC97 Audio.
> If so, how good a card would I want, I don't need anymore than 2
> channels and the suwoofer does not take a seperate output from the
> computer. The audio comes out of 1 analog output.

If you buy a separate sound card, based on what you wrote, you're only going
to end up with basically the same. The next step up is a 5.1 surround card
and a new set of speakers. There's nothing wrong with AC97. AC97 refers to a
codec standard, not the year the chip was made, or something equally as
obtuse. Save your ****ing money and buy a cheap whore.