Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disabling ram with XP - how??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311081-disabling-ram-with-xp-how.html)

Sirius 06-23-2004 07:15 PM

Disabling ram with XP - how???

I think I recall that with w98 it was possible to run MSCONFIG and
disable some of the ram. How can I do this with XP?? I want to try
running XP with 128 mb ram to see how much slower it is.

The Prophecy 06-23-2004 07:53 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

Sirius wrote:
> I think I recall that with w98 it was possible to run MSCONFIG and
> disable some of the ram. How can I do this with XP?? I want to try
> running XP with 128 mb ram to see how much slower it is.

You can't disable RAM with XP. The only way to do what you are describing is
to open your computer case and remove the RAM.

slick 06-23-2004 11:31 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

Just kidding, carry on!

The Prophecy 06-24-2004 12:17 AM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

One would think so, this question also had me scratching my head.

Sirius 06-24-2004 07:35 AM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

slick wrote:

> You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.

Thor 06-24-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

"Sirius" <oakengloNOSPAMMERS@lycos.com> wrote in message
> slick wrote:
>
> > You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

> I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
> great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
> ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
> ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.

Many here would have confirmed that to you easily. :-)

Sirius 06-24-2004 03:52 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

Thor wrote:

> "Sirius" <oakengloNOSPAMMERS@lycos.com> wrote in message
>
>>slick wrote:
>>

>>>You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

>>I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
>>great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
>>ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
>>ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.

> Many here would have confirmed that to you easily. :-)

Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness in
my daughters laptop.

I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
only 128 mb ram.

Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?

Jim Berwick 06-24-2004 04:41 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

> Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
> reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
> observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness
> in my daughters laptop.

It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
(my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

> I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP
> and only 128 mb ram.
>
> Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?

# Pentium 233 MHz or faster processor
# 128 MB RAM
# 1.5 GB hard disk space
# CD-ROM or DVD drive
# Sound card
# Keyboard and mouse
# DVD video playback requires DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD
decoder software and 8 MB video RAM # Video capture feature requires
appropriate digital or analog video capture device and 400 MHz or faster
processor for digital video camera capture # 33.6K modem and Internet
access required for online and conferencing features

Sirius 06-24-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

Jim Berwick wrote:

> Sirius <oakengloNOSPAMMERS@lycos.com> wrote in
>

>>Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
>>reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
>>observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness
>>in my daughters laptop.

> It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
> (my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
> 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

yes I hadn't thought of that. I suppose the difference will be amplified
as well due to the laptop using more swap file than the desktop.

>>I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP
>>and only 128 mb ram.
>>
>>Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?
>>

> # Pentium 233 MHz or faster processor
> # 128 MB RAM
> # 1.5 GB hard disk space
> # CD-ROM or DVD drive
> # Sound card
> # Keyboard and mouse
> # DVD video playback requires DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD
> decoder software and 8 MB video RAM # Video capture feature requires
> appropriate digital or analog video capture device and 400 MHz or faster
> processor for digital video camera capture # 33.6K modem and Internet
> access required for online and conferencing features

Thankyou.

Am I correct in believing that XP has more background services running
and so will run slower than W98 given the same hardware??

Jim Berwick 06-24-2004 08:24 PM

Re: Disabling ram with XP - how???

Sirius <oakengloNOSPAMMERS@lycos.com> wrote in news:2k0pa5F15g46cU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Am I correct in believing that XP has more background services running
> and so will run slower than W98 given the same hardware??

Depends. On marginal hardware (ie, the stuff above) 98 is faster. On
decent hardware, the NT based OSs are faster because they manage resources
better.