Velocity Reviews

-   -   What the hell is this? lol (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311014-what-the-hell-is-this-lol.html)

TrentŠ 06-17-2004 02:27 AM

What the hell is this? lol

I'm working on a machine that's really turned into a
nightmare...mostly because of the blockhost worm and 2 variants of
Sasser.

But here's the problem I could really use some help on...

I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
all the icons are on top of that picture.

I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
the right side of the screen.

The customer wants to get rid of this screen.

The icons don't move...they remain where they were on the desktop.
And UNDER this accordion that I just moved to the right is the regular
Windows desktop. If I go into settings, I can change the desktop
picture to various things. But the slider window doesn't change...its
the same picture.

Does anybody have any idea what the hell this slider things is? lol
Is it just a program that I'm not familiar with? Nothing looked
familiar to me in msconfig, enditall, or even in processes.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Have a nice week...

TrentŠ

Noozer 06-17-2004 03:43 AM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

> I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
> all the icons are on top of that picture.
>
> I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
> just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
> to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
> there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
> the right side of the screen.

Is the Active Desktop on? Is there a link to a picture? This would be
resizable like a window.

Alceryes 06-18-2004 05:35 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

Win 98, 2K, XP?
I'd get the latest version of Ad-aware (with latest defs) and the latest
version of Mcafee stinger, boot into safe mode and install and run both
proggies. Also remember to clear out the startup progs in msconfig AND the
registry (Skip the registry part if you're not sure how to do it).
--

I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!
- Alceryes

Jim Berwick 06-18-2004 06:53 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

"Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in

> I'd get the latest version of Ad-aware (with latest defs) and the
> latest version of Mcafee stinger, boot into safe mode and install and
> run both proggies. Also remember to clear out the startup progs in
> msconfig AND the registry (Skip the registry part if you're not sure
> how to do it).

Question: MSConfig shows you what is loading out of the registry, what is
the point of removing stuff from msconfig and then editting the registry?

Alceryes 06-18-2004 07:21 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

> Question: MSConfig shows you what is loading out of the registry, what is
> the point of removing stuff from msconfig and then editting the registry?

Because some items will show in the registry that DON'T show in msconfig. I
guess he can just check the registry and skip the msconfig part (old habits
die hard 8-).

Pen 06-18-2004 07:47 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

Msconfig is undoable. It merely moves the items to a key that is ignored
by windows on boot, so if you do something wrong you can always restore
it. Then if all is kosher you can delete the item(s).

Jim Berwick 06-18-2004 07:55 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

> Because some items will show in the registry that DON'T show in
> msconfig. I guess he can just check the registry and skip the msconfig
> part (old habits die hard 8-).

Example?

Weyoun the Dancing Borg 06-19-2004 03:50 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

TrentŠ wrote:

> I'm working on a machine that's really turned into a
> nightmare...mostly because of the blockhost worm and 2 variants of
> Sasser.
>
> But here's the problem I could really use some help on...
>
> I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
> all the icons are on top of that picture.
>
> I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
> just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
> to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
> there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
> the right side of the screen.
>
> The customer wants to get rid of this screen.
>
> The icons don't move...they remain where they were on the desktop.
> And UNDER this accordion that I just moved to the right is the regular
> Windows desktop. If I go into settings, I can change the desktop
> picture to various things. But the slider window doesn't change...its
> the same picture.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what the hell this slider things is? lol
> Is it just a program that I'm not familiar with? Nothing looked
> familiar to me in msconfig, enditall, or even in processes.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> TrentŠ
>
> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

I have this ability with my FX5200 graphics card.
try opening Desktop properties and seeing if there's a GeForce FX5200
card tab...

it's in there somewhere but ive turned it off for obvious reasons hehe

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

AlexMasters 06-20-2004 10:22 PM

Re: What the hell is this? lol

> I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
> just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
> to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
> there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
> the right side of the screen.

Sound like you have got some kind of active desktop enabled. In Xp, click on
a blank bit of desktop, select
properties>desktop>customise desktop> web
Then look and see if any of the boxes in there are checked. Either uncheck
them, or try clicking delete. I think this should do the trick

Alex