Velocity Reviews

-   -   For those users that have used S video before (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t311013-for-those-users-that-have-used-s-video-before.html)

GabrielG 06-17-2004 01:37 AM

For those users that have used S video before

I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
Gabe

Brad Griffis 06-17-2004 03:37 AM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

Usually you have to turn on the S-Video when you hook something up to it.
Most laptops I've seen use a keystroke such as Fn-F6 to do this. If your Fn
key is purple then you should see a little purple tv icon on one of your
keys (it's F6 on mine).

Another possibility might be to go to Control Panel -> Display and check on
the Settings tab. You might be able to enable it through there.

Brad

news:2B6Ac.13597$Y3.7302@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

Zdenek Sojka 06-17-2004 07:35 PM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

Is the default LCD screen working?
If so, try some hotkey, it should be described in your documentation.
Ask your notebook's dealer.

As you wrote, it doesnot work at all - nor when booting nor in BIOS.
Another problem could be getting it to work under your OS.
Get prepared, you might need to boot some 'VGA mode' to set TV mode.

Zdenek Sojka

"GabrielG" <twc2813049608@earthlink.net> píše v diskusním příspěvku

Plato 06-18-2004 03:00 AM

Brad Griffis wrote:

> Usually you have to turn on the S-Video when you hook something up to it.
> Most laptops I've seen use a keystroke such as Fn-F6 to do this. If your Fn
> key is purple then you should see a little purple tv icon on one of your
> keys (it's F6 on mine).
>
> Another possibility might be to go to Control Panel -> Display and check on
> the Settings tab. You might be able to enable it through there.

I've never used S-Video. My question is, is there a similiar thing you
have to do with desktops or will the S-Video port just work?

Hans Vlems 06-18-2004 06:37 PM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

Or Fn-F4
"Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:9m8Ac.25079$eH1.11588717@newssvr28.news.prodi gy.com...

Yep 06-18-2004 08:46 PM

"Zdenek Sojka" <XzsojkaX@seXznam.cz> wrote in message news:<cat4fr$2dg2$1@ns.felk.cvut.cz>...
> Is the default LCD screen working?
> If so, try some hotkey, it should be described in your documentation.
> Ask your notebook's dealer.
>
> As you wrote, it doesnot work at all - nor when booting nor in BIOS.
> Another problem could be getting it to work under your OS.
> Get prepared, you might need to boot some 'VGA mode' to set TV mode.
>
> Zdenek Sojka
>
> "GabrielG" <twc2813049608@earthlink.net> píše v diskusním příspěvku
> news:2B6Ac.13597$Y3.7302@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> > I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> > it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> > to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> > As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> > Gabe

I think you need to in this order
1) plug s video into tv
2) plug s video into laptop
3) turn on tv
4) turn on laptop
5) go into display proerties and look for an option to change from monitor to TV

You have to have the TV plugged in and on so that the laptop detects it during boot

I think :)

Toshi1873 06-19-2004 12:34 AM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

In article
<1e60ffd8.0406181246.5b431d4b@posting.google.com >,
bleaky121@volcanomail.com says...
> I think you need to in this order
> 1) plug s video into tv
> 2) plug s video into laptop
> 3) turn on tv
> 4) turn on laptop
> 5) go into display proerties and look for an option to change from monitor to TV
>
> You have to have the TV plugged in and on so that the laptop detects it during boot

On my Toshiba laptop (S3 Graphics SuperSavage chip), I
don't think you have to worry about timing (as to what
gets turned on first anymore). But I haven't tested
that empirically.

1) Plug the external display into the appropriate port
(e.g. TV to the S-Video, or external monitor to the back
VGA plug). Turn the external display on.

2) Go to your desktop, right-click and go into Display
Properties. Switch to the "Settings" tab, click on
"Advanced" button.

3) On the S3Display tab, you can then pick which devices
you want to use in combination (you can pick up to two).

Most other modern graphics drivers should have a similar
control panel.

Tabasco1 06-19-2004 02:31 AM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

"GabrielG" <twc2813049608@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:2B6Ac.13597$Y3.7302@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> I just bought a S video cable for my laptop and is connected to my TV but
> it's not working at all. Am missing something else ? What Do I have to do
> to view my Laptop screen to my TV ?
> As always any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
> Gabe

The Fn key sounds like the right direction to me... Remember that there are
likely 3+ settings so toggle through them one at a time and don't panic when
your laptops display goes out!

You know that you will need to use some more cables for sending the audio
over right?

Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com

ProfGene 06-22-2004 03:34 PM

Re: For those users that have used S video before

There are probably sound settings in Control Panel in Display that have to
be setup for TV out.