Velocity Reviews

-   -   Worm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310927-worm.html)

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. 06-07-2004 05:58 PM

Worm

According to my NAV 2002 I have gotten infected with a worm. I am
running Win98SE. Here is the Norton activity clip.

The compressed file data.rtf
..scr within application.zip within C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038134.MB is
infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.
Unable to delete the file.

I have some questions. Why doesn't this infection show up on a
complete system scan by NAV 20002? Where the hell is the Symantec
removal tool? I tried to find it and got nowhere. A link would be
nice.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Pepperoni 06-07-2004 06:07 PM

Re: Worm

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...oval.tool.html

colin 06-07-2004 06:10 PM

Re: Worm

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FxNetsky.exe

Kenny 06-07-2004 06:15 PM

Re: Worm

First hit of 20,100 on Google, scroll down page for removal tool.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...tsky.q@mm.html
--

Kenny

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. 06-07-2004 09:58 PM

Re: Worm

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:15:15 +0100, "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>First hit of 20,100 on Google, scroll down page for removal tool.
>
>http://securityresponse.symantec.com...tsky.q@mm.html

DL'ed the FxNetsky.exe and it just locks up when I try to run it.
DL'ed the free AVG virus scanner and it found nothing.
DL'ed Stinger and the following was the result of a scan--
Scan initiated on Mon Jun 07 15:36:21 2004

C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038132.MB\00003edf.EML\Robe rt W..txt.exe

Found the W32/Bugbear@MM virus !!!

C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038132.MB\00003edf.EML\Robe rt W..txt.exe has
been deleted.

Number of clean files: 150454

Number of infected files: 1

Number of files deleted: 1

Maybe if I run enough virus scanners I will find all the viri on this
system! All the viri have appeared in the C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT
directory. Does anyone know the purpose of this directory. I have
thought of deleting all the files in this directory but am not sure it
is safe to do this.

Thor 06-08-2004 02:15 AM

Re: Worm

for one thing, you should run these tools in safe mode for maximum
effectiveness.

Plato 06-08-2004 03:59 AM

Re: Worm

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:

> According to my NAV 2002 I have gotten infected with a worm. I am
> running Win98SE. Here is the Norton activity clip.
>
> The compressed file data.rtf
> .scr within application.zip within C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038134.MB is
> infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.
> Unable to delete the file.

Heck, if the bug is just in the recycled folder boot to dos and deltree
it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. 06-08-2004 07:31 AM

Re: Worm

On 7 Jun 2004 22:59:07 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
>>
>> According to my NAV 2002 I have gotten infected with a worm. I am
>> running Win98SE. Here is the Norton activity clip.
>>
>> The compressed file data.rtf
>> .scr within application.zip within C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038134.MB is
>> infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.
>> Unable to delete the file.

>Heck, if the bug is just in the recycled folder boot to dos and deltree
>it.

I went to dos and deleted the file under the recycled/nprotect
directory. Hopefully that took care of the Netsky virus. I will try
running the FxNetsky.exe in the safemode and see what happens.

Ashton Fagg 06-10-2004 07:23 AM

Re: Worm

Hi Ray
Have you tried clearing your temp files and the recycle bin?
Ash

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. 06-12-2004 03:05 AM

Re: Worm

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:23:25 GMT, "Ashton Fagg"
<ashtonfagg@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Ray
>Have you tried clearing your temp files and the recycle bin?
>Ash
>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:1oa9c0115n3jsos4cvm4p0turjlptei345@4ax.com.. .
>> According to my NAV 2002 I have gotten infected with a worm. I am
>> running Win98SE. Here is the Norton activity clip.
>>
>> The compressed file data.rtf
>> .scr within application.zip within C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT\00038134.MB is
>> infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.
>> Unable to delete the file.
>>
>> I have some questions. Why doesn't this infection show up on a
>> complete system scan by NAV 20002? Where the hell is the Symantec
>> removal tool? I tried to find it and got nowhere. A link would be
>> nice.
>>
>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>> Lubbock, Texas
>> kinserlow at hotmail dot com