Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cache (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310925-cache.html)

Mira 06-07-2004 02:34 PM

Cache

Hello. I'm newbie. I'm maintaining my own website with Comcast as my ISP. My
problem is, some graphics/hyperlinks in my website ( in the cyberspace)
doesn't show. It shows when I click the preview button from Front Page
extensions. When I update my website thru FTP and check the website in the
cyberspace it doesn't. I dont know what I'm going to do. I dont have
computer knowledge. I built this homepage from scratch and from books with a
lot of tears. Trying to solve this so I went thru the Comcast webpage and in
their help page or FAQ, I read that if graphics doen't show, it may exceed
the bytes however by clicking around I
found this information that the maximum bytes allocated is 26,214,400 and
the total bytes I use is 6,181,813.It said that maybe the reason is the
"Cache" It needs to be changed they said. Here is my problem. What is the
cache and where/how can I find it? I've been searching or running files
about the cache and I couldnt find it. I like to solve this computer problem
of mine. Another thing is: I went to Comcast webpage today and I cannot
find the page where I found those informations. It seems that they change
the contents of their info about personal webpages. I used to see how many
bytes I use and everything about my homepage. They're all gone now so I dont
know where to go. Please enlighten me. Please help. I have Windows XP if
this will help.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Mira

Chet 06-07-2004 03:03 PM

Re: Cache

Start with the basics. Make sure the graphics files are actually being
transferred to the host. For each picture there is a separate file that the
web page links to.

You mention "Front Page" even though you say you built the page from
scratch. It's not clear if you have actually composed the HTML or not. I
suggest the following no-nonsense primer on HTML if you need it.

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General...TMLPrimer.html

DeMoN LaG 06-07-2004 03:05 PM

Re: Cache

"Mira" <miralyn@NOSPAM.here> wrote in news:kMKdnfa7GNKY4FndRVn-
iQ@comcast.com:

> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Mira

Where is your page located at? I can help you fix it if you post the
address.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Mira 06-07-2004 04:19 PM

Re: Cache

Chet, yes, I use Front page so maybe saying "built it from scratch is wrong
word to use" sorry about that. Even using the Front page and the book with
me is still a lot to tackle for me. Graphics are all okay when it will be
viewed in my pc but after trnasferring all the files from cuteFTP then some
graphics or the hyperlinks are not working. Thanks for the lik, I'll check
it out.
Mira

Mira 06-07-2004 04:21 PM

Re: Cache

here's the link http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn

Thanks,
Mira

colin 06-07-2004 04:49 PM

Re: Cache

> Chet, yes, I use Front page so maybe saying "built it from scratch is

wrong
> word to use" sorry about that. Even using the Front page and the book with
> me is still a lot to tackle for me. Graphics are all okay when it will be
> viewed in my pc but after trnasferring all the files from cuteFTP then

some
> graphics or the hyperlinks are not working. Thanks for the lik, I'll check
> it out.
> Mira

http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm

As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X

Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm

"For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the best
mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
Completed 1/12/99" no pic

http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...stbirthday.jpg X

http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...es/letterb.jpg no text
below the pic

http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

Mira 06-07-2004 06:10 PM

Re: Cache

> http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
>
> As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
>
> Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you view
my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the first
place to get some help/answers.

> http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
>
> "For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

best
> mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
> Completed 1/12/99" no pic

There is no pic there really

> http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...stbirthday.jpg X

I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web

> http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...es/letterb.jpg no text
> below the pic

Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something there

> http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects to
be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found

colin 06-07-2004 06:19 PM

Re: Cache

Mira wrote:
>>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
>>
>>As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
>>
>>Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

> Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you view
> my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the first
> place to get some help/answers.
>

>>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
>>
>>"For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

> best
>
>>mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
>>Completed 1/12/99" no pic

> There is no pic there really
>

>>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...stbirthday.jpg X

> I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web
>

>>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...es/letterb.jpg no text
>>below the pic

> Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something there
>

>>http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

> Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects to
> be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found

Aside from the 3 missing pics, which you should be able to re-upload;
everything else appears to be fine

Global_Killa 06-08-2004 12:08 AM

Re: Cache

> > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/works_in_progress.htm
> >
> > As of Apr. 4, 2003. Began 3/28/04 X
> >
> > Began Apr. 4, 2004. As of 4/8/03 X

> Thank you for pointing these out. Graphics are not showing up if you

view
> my homepage from the web site. The reason why I'm posting here in the

first
> place to get some help/answers.
>
> > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery.htm
> >
> > "For my mother. My tribute to her for being such a kind, good, and the

> best
> > mother in the whole world. This is an anonymous poem in Dear Meg column.
> > Completed 1/12/99" no pic

> There is no pic there really
>
> > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...stbirthday.jpg X

> I am still working how to get the graphics show in the web
>
> > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/ima...es/letterb.jpg no text
> > below the pic

> Thanks for ponting this, I realized that I forgot to say something

there

> > http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn/gallery4.htm Page URL Not Found!!

> Every gallery has 20 projects shown. I still need 7 finished projects

> be put up in gallery 4 so the page URL is not found

As with colin, only 3 missing pics and everything else seems to work.

Can't be sure to why the pics aren't loading. A few possible reasons are:

1. It could be the picture (maybe missing from the server or corrupted), in
which case, upload the pictures again.

2. The picture reference in the HTML might be different to the image file
name.
In this case, delete and then add the picture again using FrontPage.

Hope this helps,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

Mira 06-08-2004 01:30 PM

Re: Cache

> 2. The picture reference in the HTML might be different to the image file
> name.
> In this case, delete and then add the picture again using FrontPage.

You're very right. I checked my homepage and notice these. They're all
edited now and all the graphics are working. Thank you so much for pointing
this out. Thanks to all who replied, specially you..Global_Killa

Mira