Velocity Reviews

-   -   Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310913-advanced-privacy-blocked-cookies.html)

Wayne R. Russ 06-06-2004 07:43 AM

Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

Hello Everyone,

I have gone to Advanced Privacy Settings in Internet Options, in IE 6
and made these settings.

First Party Cookies: Accept
Third Party Cookies: Prompt

When I am prompted that a Third Party Cookie is trying to load, I am
given the option to Apply My Decision To All Cookies From This Web Site,
when choosing whether to block, or accept the Cookie. Could/ Would someone
tell me whether I should take that to mean literally every Cookie from that
site, including First Party Cookies that I would want to accept, or would
that mean just mean the Third Party Cookies I "Normally" do not want on my
system ?

On some sites I need to have First Party Cookies accepted. Later I am
bombarded at the same site by Third Party Cookies a have to continually
block them.

Wayne R. Russ

GTS 06-06-2004 04:21 PM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

I recommend just blocking 3rd party cookies. They rarely if ever have a
purpose other than ad tracking, and there's no real downside to blocking
them all. (I also prefer to block First Party cookies and enable only those
I need, but some find this too much trouble.)

Michael-NC 06-06-2004 04:27 PM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to "prompt."

Jim Berwick 06-06-2004 05:53 PM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in
news:wBHwc.10213$wH4.619226@twister.southeast.rr.c om:

> Ditto. Block all third party cookies. You never want to set it to
> "prompt."

I believe Hotmail requires 3rd party cookies.

Michael-NC 06-06-2004 06:26 PM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

I have the IE privacy setting on High, ZoneAlarm Pro set to block third
party cookies and Hotmail works fine.

GTS 06-06-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

No. It doesn't.

Lloyd Jones 06-07-2004 12:37 AM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

It blocks third party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy.

LJ

Michael-NC 06-07-2004 01:06 AM

"Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It blocks third party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy.
>
> LJ

I assume you're not talking about ZoneAlarm Pro, which I mentioned in the
post. It blocks third party cookies, period. Hotmail still works fine. :-)

Lloyd Jones 06-07-2004 01:18 AM

Re: Advanced Privacy, Blocked Cookies

No mate im talking about IE 6, I meant to post it up a few. I block third
party cookies, period, using Norton Internet Security and Hotmail also works
fine with me.

LJ

Michael-NC 06-07-2004 10:53 AM

> No mate im talking about IE 6, I meant to post it up a few. I block third
> party cookies, period, using Norton Internet Security and Hotmail also

works
> fine with me.
>
> LJ

Maybe I shouldn't say that Hotmail works fine. I get 60 bloody spams a day
delivered to the junk folder...