Velocity Reviews

-   -   google dot com? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t310888-google-dot-com.html)

John 06-04-2004 05:33 PM

google dot com?

Hello.

I just wondered what happened to Google.com?

Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
English?

I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.

John

colin 06-04-2004 05:40 PM

Re: google dot com?

John wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>
> Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
> English?
>
> I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
> Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>
> John

It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
correct regional setting

John 06-04-2004 05:42 PM

Re: google dot com?

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:40:45 +1000, colin <colmac14@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>>
>> Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
>> English?
>>
>> I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
>> Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>>
>> John
>>

>It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
>correct regional setting

I selected the UK when I installed XP Pro.

John

colin 06-04-2004 05:51 PM

Re: google dot com?

John wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:40:45 +1000, colin <colmac14@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>John wrote:
>>
>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>I just wondered what happened to Google.com?
>>>
>>>Is anyone in the US still visiting this site and seeing everything in
>>>English?
>>>
>>>I'm in the UK, and when I go to Google.com it is a German Google site!
>>>Everything is German. It has been this way for quite some time now.
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>>It could be, that when you installed your system, you didn`t select the
>>correct regional setting

> I selected the UK when I installed XP Pro.
>
> John

Try this one than..

http://www.google.co.uk/

Lloyd Jones 06-04-2004 05:54 PM

Re: google dot com?

Are you using a proxy?

LJ

John 06-05-2004 02:40 AM

Re: google dot com?

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:54:42 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are you using a proxy?
>
>LJ

No, no proxy.

My question isn't about trying to use google that's not a problem. I
just wanted to know if you guys in the US can still go to google.COM
and see it all in English, and whether anyone in the UK can as well?
When I go there as I said it's all German.

Google.co.uk is fine that's what I use a lot. I just wanted to know
why Google.com is german though and whether it is only my machine or
if its like that everywhere?

Cheers

John

vince 06-05-2004 03:22 AM

Re: google dot com?

Yes, its only the most popular search engine there is here, so yes we do

Lloyd Jones 06-05-2004 09:17 AM

Re: google dot com?

I asked if you were using a proxy because If they think your IP address is
coming from Germany then it will be displayed in a german language.

LJ

John 06-08-2004 08:02 PM

Re: google dot com?

I found out what the problem is. It is to do with a german ip
address! Apparently the ADSL company I am with gets their service
through telefonica not BT, here in the UK.

It still seems strange to me though because Telefonica is Spanish is
it not? So I still don't understand how I get a German IP address :(

Another strange thing is that the company I was with before Clara.net
is a French company with services in the UK and European countries as
well. So I don't understand how it always came up in German when I
was with them as well.

Looks like I wont be able to visit Google.com again, unless I want to
see it in German :( That has got to suck.

John

Jim Berwick 06-08-2004 08:09 PM

Re: google dot com?

John <count@duckula.com> wrote in news:7l6cc09hp75c95vgvr28ccqo9216cac1l5@
4ax.com:

> Looks like I wont be able to visit Google.com again, unless I want to
> see it in German :( That has got to suck.

Go to google, click Preferences, and set it to english. Preferences is the
second link to the immediate right of the search field.